Arabella Advisors is looking for an associate director, with a strong advocacy background, who is passionate about high-impact philanthropy and engaging with strategically-focused donors. A successful candidate must excel in providing premier client service, and be known for the ability to keep projects running on time, on budget, and in a way that effectively deploys your team members’ talents and connects them to the bigger picture.
As a member of Arabella’s collegial, client-focused, and impact-driven community, you will lead projects that service high-profile institutional, family, and corporate foundations, and philanthropic individuals. Our team helps clients develop grant-making strategies, implement programs, evaluate their impact, and collaborate effectively with other donors. As project manager, you are responsible for project design, research, analysis, deliverable development, stakeholder engagement, and budget and team management. Additionally, you play a central role in developing client relationships and helping to generate new business.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, public policy, advocacy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun— even as it emphasizes excellence.
About Arabella’s Consulting Team
Arabella’s consulting practice works with institutional, family, and corporate clients to develop, implement, and assess effective grant-making programs; deploy capital to advance advocacy and systems change strategies; and launch and manage efforts that go beyond grant making to further their philanthropic goals. We work with many of the nation’s leading foundations, helping them achieve impact in education, health, international development, conservation, and more.
Associate Directors play an essential role in managing projects, developing client relationships, and developing team talent and culture. Your role will include the following responsibilities:
Client Service (~75%)
- Serve as project manager on client projects; duties include developing and managing project scopes, drafting and managing complex project timelines and budgets, and overseeing cross- functional teams
- Design, implement, and evaluate programs for clients
- Design and facilitate working sessions with clients and other stakeholders
- Develop high-quality reports and presentations
- Maintain strong client relationships, facilitate client meetings, and clearly communicate project progress and findings
- Train project team members and help develop their skills and talents Marketing and Business Development (~20%)
- Draft proposals and develop budgets for prospective clients
- Assist in the development of materials that highlight the firm’s expertise, abilities, and past project work
- Support Arabella’s client development team in identifying and pitching new opportunities
Internal Projects (~5%)
- Initiate and lead internal projects related to the team’s business strategy, annual objectives, skill development, or culture
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent work experience in relevant field (professional services, philanthropy, public policy, nonprofit management, etc.)
- At least 5 to 7 years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibility
- Strong background, expertise, and experience in advocacy, organizing, and/or civic engagement.
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management, business and/or consulting
- Ability to manage and lead a complex project, to oversee and delegate to team members, and to meet deadlines
- Strong organization and research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize diverse information from written documents and interviews
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing skills and demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information on the page
- Proven ability to work with diverse audiences and stakeholders, including excellent customer service and strong facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Issue area expertise in one of our areas of focus: environment, education, health, and international development. Knowledge of and interest in environmental issues is a particular need at this time.
- Practice area expertise such as strategy development, program evaluation, coalition/community of practice management, or program management
- An entrepreneurial spirit, an attention to detail, ability to adapt to changing circumstances, and a sense of humor
- Experience identifying and overseeing project subcontractors
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401(k) match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a one-page cover letter and resume to be considered for the position. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials. APPLY HERE: https://www.arabellaadvisors.com/careers/open-position/?gnk=job&gni=8a7880cf59151878015922334f783e27&gns=Emerging%20Practitioners%20in%20Philanthropy
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.