You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
The Associate Director, Communications oversees day-to-day coordination and execution of a wide range of internal and external communications efforts, supporting both the firm’s communications strategy and the communications efforts of its clients. The ideal candidate excels at complex stakeholder and project management, message creation, media relations, and digital content development. This position reports directly to the Head of Marketing and Communications, requires effective cross-functional collaboration, excellent oral and written communication, strong copy editing skills, and a drive for successful outcomes in advancing social change work.
- Assist the Head of Marketing and Communications and other firm leaders with a variety of media relations efforts, including: tracking news media; logging media inquiries and coordinating multi-stakeholder response; drafting messaging for use by senior leaders, and identifying and pursuing potential media placement opportunities.
- Track daily media clips and assist with the publication of multiple monthly e-newsletters.
- Foster relationships with a variety of external agencies who provide crisis communications and other support
- Develop content and communications on behalf of a range of nonprofit organizations that Arabella Advisors supports
- Create and manage communications vehicles enabling regular contact with donors to nonprofit organizations and projects
- Develop and track metrics to evaluate the success and impact of communications by the nonprofit organizations Arabella supports
- Write a variety of communications in conjunction with Arabella teammates for publication as articles, blogs, social media, etc.
- Assist the Head of Marketing and Communications with other projects as necessary.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- At least five years’ experience with steadily increasing responsibility in communications for a business or nonprofit organization with a social change mission
- Proactive, well-organized and able to lead multiple efforts simultaneously.
- Strong upward management skills to drive process and compliance
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and processes from start to finish, including ongoing analysis of impact and results.
- Ability to strategize as well as execute communications plans
- Experience with media outreach and analysis tools such as Talkwalker, Cision, or Meltwater
- Ability to develop relationships across offices, teams, and all levels, including executives and external partners
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills
- Passion to support growing social change organizations
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online here. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make things easier through reasonable accommodations in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.