At Emerson Collective, (EC), we believe that self-reliance is one of humanity’s highest ideals. A person who is self-reliant is able to chart his or her own destiny in order to live to his or her fullest potential – leading to both individual advancement and a stronger society for us all. To support this belief, EC is determined to do entrepreneurial work in traditionally non-entrepreneurial contexts by partnering with and supporting innovative entrepreneurs who are driving game-changing social reform efforts, particularly in the areas of education, immigration, social justice, and the environment.
At EC, we care deeply about supporting innovative new models driving social change. This work involves investing in exciting and innovative nonprofits across our range of focus areas. The Investment Analyst will be a core member of the investment team and report to Managing Director, Anne Marie Burgoyne, helping to manage her areas of grantmaking including the arts, local giving, social justice, social innovation and global work. This person will also support our capacity building program in offering supplemental and critical leadership development opportunities to our partners and their teams.
Specifically, the role includes:
- Supporting Anne Marie Burgoyne, who leads our grantmaking organization-wide, in doing diligence on and preparing organizations for possible investment. Engaging these organizations in their ongoing relationship with the Emerson Collective to assure that they have access to support, as well as maintain their grantmaking requirements.
- Researching the landscapes of organizations in our areas of work and keeping informed on relevant updates that affect our current, and potential future, partners.
- Supporting the capacity building program at Emerson Collective, including preparing for, attending, and supporting in-house trainings, as well as sharing relevant opportunities with our grantees. This body of work could also include creating new programs or building partnerships with capacity building content providers.
- Completing special projects and research projects as areas of interest emerge from our executive team.
- Helping Anne Marie and the investment team to facilitate cross-pollination across the portfolio and among EC teams and initiatives.
- Sharing relevant information about grantees and their progress to a wider array of EC team members, as well as the field more broadly.
- You are passionate about creating positive impact in the world, and are curious about a variety of issues and approaches to driving social change.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.
- You have 1-5 years of work experience.
- You have exceptional organizational and detail management skills.
- You have strong written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- You are able to multi-task, prioritize work and are comfortable in a workplace with many things going on at one time.
- You are positive, responsive, proactive, dependable, and flexible; you are a problem-solver.
- You can work independently, but are also comfortable working as part of a team with the give-and-take that that requires.
- You have a powerful work ethic and willingness to put in extra effort when needed.
This position will be based in Palo Alto.
EC offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
Send your resume and a short (<250 words) note about your interest in the role to [email protected] Please use “EC Investment Analyst” as your subject line. Although all applications will be considered, we are unable to respond to all inquiries.