The Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy seeks to add an Adjunct Research Associate for research and evaluation with a special emphasis on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This Research Associate will have two primary responsibilities in approximately equal proportions: (1) research support for the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and (2) research and evaluation support within the Community Data and Research Lab.
The Research Associate will lead quantitative and qualitative research projects (or parts of larger research projects) including surveys and interviews, and will produce a variety of written content for foundation and nonprofit clients.
The individual in this position reports to the Director, Community Data and Research Lab, and will be expected to work closely with the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus some graduate coursework or enrolled in a graduate program
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of foundations or nonprofits
- Demonstrated prior experience with and/or interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion at organizational, community, or population levels
- Ability to read, summarize, and synthesize large quantities of information
- Interest in applied research and/or community work
- Strong cultural competence, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with electronic research methods (e.g., online journals and reports) and Microsoft Word/Excel
- Ability to work effectively as part of multiple teams
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s Degree in a field related to philanthropy, diversity, evaluation, or research
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of both foundations and nonprofits
- One to three years prior experience working in or with the philanthropic sector
- Prior experience in applied research and/or community work
- Experience collecting data through interviews, focus groups, and open-ended survey responses; analyzing that data; and summarizing the results for both general and technical audiences
- Experience with advanced data collection and analysis software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Tableau, Qualtrics)
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Review existing organizational and community surveys related to matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Design and implement research projects in collaboration with other team members
- Conduct qualitative research (interviews, focus groups) and analyze both qualitative and quantitative data
- Curate reading lists and items of interest for the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion from both materials provided to the scholar as well as the Research Associate’s own findings
- Write reports for clients in a variety of formats (e.g., presentations, executive summaries, long-form reports) for dissemination via various platforms
- Perform other duties, as assigned
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
$40,000-49,000 depending on experience
Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy/College of Community and Public Service
Campus: Pew Campus
How To Apply:
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin <2 weeks after posting date> and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)