You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Our team needs dynamic and enthusiastic individuals that can jump in and support our accounting needs. If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you. We incubate new and innovative nonprofit projects, and the accounting associate helps our clients manage their resources for positive societal impact. We need you to be highly organized, and have a demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously. Our revenue team processes over several hundred transactions per month. The work is fast paced and mission-driven.
- Process donor contributions to recognize revenue and related management fees
- Process cash receipts
- Assist with reconciliation of accounts receivable subledger
- Assist with lockbox reports
- Respond to donor contribution inquiries
- Assist in bank reconciliations
- Process inter-company transactions
- Create and mail tax acknowledgement letters to qualified donors
- Assist with entering new vendors within our accounts payable portal and accounting software
- Assist with month-end close
- Assist with preparation of annual audit and tax reconciliation schedules as assigned
- Assist with general ledger reconciliations and special accounting projects as needed
- Maintain supplies for Finance team operations
To be successful in this role you’ll need
- Associate's/Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- At least one year of work experience in an accounting role
- Basic knowledge of accrual accounting
- Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience or familiarity with general accounting software
- Must have a strong work ethic, be well-organized and a self-Proficiency with accounting software, report design, and Excel Experience with full-cycle GL
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience or familiarity with Salesforce or Adobe Pro
Our Core Competencies
- Ability to provide excellent, including the ability to efficiently and independently address routine service matters, to suggest effective client-centered solutions when elevating challenges or concerns, and to understand how the team can operate to maintain high-quality service
- The ability to complete complex tasks, to use a work plan to undertake projects, and to understand how those projects impact the client, team, and/or firm’s objectives
- The ability to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and circumstances, and to build and manage strong relationships that reflect that understanding
- The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, including the ability to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences; to make technical information assessible to broader audiences; and to collaborate with others to produce strong written deliverables
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including knowing when and how to compromise, being willing to proactively help colleagues, and sharing knowledge in various mediums
- An enthusiasm for taking on stretch and development opportunities, including the ability to accept feedback and use it to improve performance
- The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including knowing when to elevate challenges along with possible solutions
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover online here. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.