Description of Consulting Role
The Communications Consultant will partner with executive, programmatic, and operations staff to develop and implement the communications strategies required for the Alliance to influence its target audiences and achieve its goals. This is the only Communications role at the Alliance.
The person in this role will have the primary day-to-day contact with the in-house communications professionals and communications consultants for our member foundations. Major areas of responsibility include:
Overall Communications Strategy
- Lead the development and implementation of an overall strategic communications plan, including traditional and social media strategy
- Collaborate with Alliance staff, staff of member foundations, and other consultants regarding communications strategy
General Content Development
- Message development, developing talking points, interacting with reporters.
- Develop fact-sheets and brochures regarding the Alliance’s work
- Assist executive staff and CEOs of member foundations in (ghost) writing, editing and placing op-eds, letters to the editor, and the like as needed
- Coordinate, manage and develop internal network communications for members, as well as partners and stakeholders, including newsletters, blog posts, other periodic E-mail updates, etc.
- Develop and execute social media strategy and manage digital footprint (including content and platforms)
- Coordinate design and development of original content for major publications, including annual reports – includes drafting and editorial responsibility for content developed by staff and vendors
- Coordinate webinars and necessary platforms
- Develop style guide for Alliance publications
- Serve as in-house copyeditor for major materials
- Develop development of video content as necessary
- Launch and maintain a website for the Alliance, including creating new content and revising existing content/materials, updating information, identifying and managing vendor relationship(s), and identifying ways for the site to become an even better resource to media, partners and others (e.g., password-protected components, calendars, etc.)
- Manage press relations by liaising with reporters and media outlets to help shape, create, and respond to news coverage related to the Alliance’s mission and goals (includes securing earned media as needed
- Draft and disseminate media advisories/press releases and identifying creative ways for achieving their communications goals
- Maintain press clippings and press lists of reporters covering issues relevant to the Alliance’s mission and goals
- Brief the Alliance staff, membership, and consultants as needed regarding key messages, reporter background, potentially challenging topics and other issues in advance of media interviews
- Identify and manage consultant’s/vendor as appropriate in areas including:
- High-volume copyediting
- Keep abreast of national dialogue/ initiatives related to boys and men of color
- Participate in regular internal meetings w/ Alliance staff & consultants
- Participate in external meetings w/ partner organizations as needed
Interested parties should submit the following:
- A proposal, not to exceed three pages and to include a proposed consulting plan containing the following:
- Contact information
- References, with contact information (three clients within the last two years)
- Project description/approach/scope of work, including a detailedbudget for a one year assignment (12 months) Resumes for all relevant team members.
The Communications Consultant must be an empathetic, resourceful, and highly responsible individual with a high degree of professionalism, a strong work ethic, and a flexible and collaborative spirit. Ability to navigate and perform at a high level through ambiguous and dynamic contexts is essential, along with the ability to coordinate strategic processes and strong project management skills. A commitment to racial justice at the intersection of gender, intellectual curiosity, and ongoing professional development and growth are essential.
The ideal candidate would have experience in strategic communications, media relations, website design, art direction, and social/digital media strategy. Some experience with the philanthropic sector preferred. Although traditional PR or communications experience is welcome, we also are interested in candidates who demonstrate alternative qualifications and capabilities for achieving our organizational goals
Proposals are due by Friday, February 10, 2017 to [email protected]
The selected consultant will be notified by February 24, 2017.
Consultant’s work will begin February 27, 2017.
Any questions regarding this RFP should be directed Dannese Mapanda at [email protected]
- At least four years’ communications experience
- Experience developing communications strategies for networks or coalitions
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize multiple assignments
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.
- Highly organized, responsible, even-tempered, and extremelydetail-oriented, with high standards of performance
- Personable, engaging presence, with diplomacy, tact and good humor
- Willingness to take initiative to solve problems