Chicago Foundation for Women (CFW) is a public foundation working to advance gender equity, which we believe to be inherently interconnected with racial, economic, and health equity. CFW envisions a world in which all women and girls, transgender, and gender nonbinary people have the opportunity to thrive in safe, just, and healthy communities. We celebrate the spectrum of identities and experiences of women and girls, uplift their leadership and center the voices of the community to achieve true equity. To support our philanthropy, the Foundation promotes increased investment in women and girls, raises awareness about their issues and potential, and develops them as leaders and philanthropists. Since 1985, the Foundation has awarded over $42 million to hundreds of organizations that help achieve its mission of gender equity across the Chicago region.
CFW looks at the broad spectrum of needs of all women. We support the areas of freedom from violence, economic security, and access to health, which we see as integrally related and are paths forward toward an equitable society.
Chicago Foundation for Women (CFW) is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. The Foundation is in the midst of change, from an institution that tolerates racial and identity differences to one that excites these differences as powerful tools for systemic, anti-racist change. CFW is committed to engaging in continual analysis and essential restructuring to ensure the Foundation’s way of being is one that wields a shared power and holds itself accountable to racially oppressed groups to achieve its gender equity goal.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Staff Accountant will work directly under the Chief Operating Officer, and will prepare and maintain financial records to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities.
How the Staff Accountant Position Breaks Down:
- Performs general accounting and other related duties for the organization.
- Prepares monthly balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statements.
- Maintains the general ledger.
- Manage the accounts payable process.
- Reconciles all balance sheet accounts monthly.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Assist with filing tax forms with federal, state, and local government agencies.
- Coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software systems; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software.
- Maintains knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Process and post daily cash receipts in accounting software (Fund EZ), including check deposits and credit card payments; verify donation/payment type in fundraising program (Raiser’s Edge)
- Perform monthly revenue reconciliation between Fund EZ and Raiser’s Edge by the 3rd workday of the month
- Update Giving Councils and Giving Circles Fund Balance Statements (monthly basis)
- Update statements and prepare letters to Donor Advised Fund holders (quarterly basis)
- Communicate and enforce purchasing policies and payment requisition procedures with staff and vendors, maintain vendor files
Other Finance & Accounting
- Enter fiscal year operating budget data into Fund EZ
- Reconcile annual grant disbursements by grantee, amount, and fund with Foundant (GMS)
- Attend and actively participate in required educational programs, and departmental and staff meetings
- Update knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining networks; participating in professional organizations
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor and President/CEO
HOW TO APPLY
Click here for more information or to apply. Interested applicants should email a cover letter articulating how their skills and experience meet the responsibilities noted above with a resume to [email protected]
- Subject line should read: Your Name + Staff Accountant
- No phone calls, please
- CFW seeks to fill this position as soon as possible and will work actively to build a diverse pool of candidates.