The Durfee Foundation invests in the people and possibilities in Los Angeles County. We believe that novel ideas from people with fresh perspective, passion, and determination will generate a brighter future for LA. Through our core grant programs, we offer rest and renewal, as well as financial and professional support, to some of Los Angeles’s most innovative changemakers.
We are a small, highly collaborative and supportive team that works with great care for our community and is deeply committed to the success of our partners. We seek to build trust-based relationships with individuals and organizations who share our ideals of creativity, risk-taking, equity, integrity, fiscal care, and continuous learning. For more information, please visit https://durfee.org/.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Downtown Los Angeles. Work will be performed in office, with some occasional remote flexibility.
The position of Program Manager at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to a candidate who is committed to and has a demonstrated track record of engagement in the social sector, with strong administrative skills. The position offers a unique opportunity to be exposed to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of Los Angeles County’s premier nonprofit, public sector and movement leaders.
The Program Manager will primarily handle all day-to-day administrative activities related to Durfee programs, including outreach, application processing, contracts, budget management, fund distribution, program assessment and the production of cohort convenings. The Program Manager will also oversee and support Durfee’s involvement in special projects. In addition, they will serve as the Foundation’s lead on event planning and production and support the Foundation’s online presence via website and social media.
The Program Manager reports to the Executive Director and works under the daily supervision of the Director of Programs and Operations. The ideal candidate should be intellectually curious, gracious, self-motivated, detail-oriented, timely and technologically proficient with interest in developing a career in the nonprofit, public or social benefit sector.
The job comes with excellent benefits, and potential for growth into more responsibility. The job should be approached with an expectation of a minimum two-three year engagement with the Foundation.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here for more information or to apply. Responsibilities
- Maintain cordial communication with applicants and awardees
- Provide consultation and assistance to prospective grant applicants and grantees
- Manage mechanics of grant applications and selection process
- Generate letters of agreement and management of fund distribution
- Maintain timely communications with grant partners
- Oversee grant reporting and follow-up
- Produce cohort convenings, inclusive of all logistics
- Prepare and manage program budgets
- Support special projects and grants outside of Durfee’s core programs
- Support website maintenance and social media management
- Provide significant support during the annual fiscal audit process
- Work with the Director of Programs and Operations to manage cash flow and grant payments
- Process vendor invoices and payments
- Serve as principal staff lead on planning in-person and virtual events, including conferences, trainings, and general Durfee network gatherings
Support to the Board of Trustees
- Write program update memos to the Board and support board book production process
- Present program updates and requests to the Board at board meetings
- Strong technical skills in Mac OS High Sierra, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Wordpress (database management essential; familiarity with online application systems a plus)
- Strong organizational skills, including good written and oral communications, attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience in budgeting and financial management
- Management and implementation of extended projects
- Events planning and production
- Good judgment, diplomacy in dealing with a variety of people and circumstances
- Ability to work both independently and as a team, and to follow instructions with minimum supervision
- Flexibility, adaptability, and capacity to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Graphic design a plus
- Passionate about Los Angeles and the social sector
- Three to five years of comparable work experience in the social sector
- Rooted connection to Los Angeles required
- Program management or project management, including budgeting/financial oversight and events production
- Prior experience in grants administration a plus
Salary and Benefits
- $80,000 -$90,000 depending on experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employer match after one year
- Matching gifts/volunteer hours program
- Two weeks vacation in first year, four weeks (20 days) thereafter, plus two elective holidays for cultural observances in addition to federal holidays
- One additional paid week for rest and renewal when the office is closed for holidays in late December
- Support to engage in professional development opportunities
Diversity & Inclusion
At Durfee, we believe that a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences are essential to our mission and work. Durfee provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants or employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Start Date: March 2023
Applications Due: February 17, 2023
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: [email protected]
Subject line: Program Manager
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In a cover letter of no more than 1-2 pages, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why?
What interests you about this position?
What do you love about Los Angeles?
Please, no phone calls, and no out-of-town applications. We will not interview applicants from outside LA.