The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is New Hampshire’s statewide community foundation created by and for the people of New Hampshire. Of the more than 700 community foundations nationwide, the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is among the oldest and largest. We manage a growing collection of 2,000 philanthropic funds created by generous individuals, families and businesses. These donors make it possible for the Foundation to award more than $60 million in grants and scholarships every year. We work with generous and visionary citizens to maximize the power of their giving, support great work happening in our communities and lead and collaborate on high-impact initiatives.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Controller serves as the key finance person under the CFO and is the primary point of contact for general accounting inquiries. This role ensures the integrity of the financial reporting system; fulfills internal and external financial reporting requirements; manages accounting department functions; and provides leadership to accounting staff. The Controller also maintains and develops appropriate internal control procedures as required by law, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), senior management, and the Board of Directors.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manages the selection, training, development, and appraisal of the accounting staff, and any other roles assigned; deploys staff and consultants to ensure the highest performance standards for financial and accounting activities
- Presents financial information to staff, management, and Board
Accounting and Fiscal Management
- Leads overall financial management functions including preparation of financial statements, compliance with State and Federal tax requirements and reporting, internal and external financial reporting
- Manages the annual external audit, including preparation and review of audit materials; serves as primary liaison with audit staff, manager, and partner
- Manages tax filings with the Foundation’s tax advisors, coordinates preparation of the 990 and 990-T and manages unrelated business income tax planning
- Researches and implements FASB, GAAP, and other Tax and Accounting regulations as well as internal control procedures
- Provides topical education to staff, management, and other non-profit entities
- Manages finance operations including donation processing, grant processing, payroll, payments and investment accounting
- Develops, implements, and oversees accounting policies and procedures around impact investing, advisor-managed funds, and other new products
- Works closely with the Director of IS and CFO on technology issues, particularly as it relates to the accounting software, provides staff support and training, works with programmers, develops reports and processes
- Ensures exemplary customer service including clarifying accounting policies and procedures to staff, donors, fund holders, Board members, and other non-profit organizations as needed
- Participates in learning opportunities to build skills of collaboration, critical inquiry, listening, and trust and to increase understanding of issues related to equity and racial justice.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Starting salary range will be between $120,000 and $125,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here for more information or to apply. The Foundation offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume by email to [email protected] Please reference ‘Controller – (your name)’ in the subject line. A full job description may be found at www.nhcf.org.
The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation welcomes diversity and does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of factors such as race, color, sex, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, and veteran.