GMA Foundations (known as GMA) helps donors define and reach their philanthropic goals with expert advice and comprehensive services. We are a trusted ally and a guide to greater impact, meaning, efficiency, and clarity. As both managers and advisors in philanthropy, GMA provides customized, comprehensive services in these essential areas:
- Grant strategy and program management
- Financial management and bookkeeping
- Consulting and facilitation
Our employee-owned firm was founded in 1982 by three partners, including Mary Phillips who has led GMA in the CEO role for the past 15 years and is now preparing to step down. The founders built a collegial professional services organization, known for our expertise and flexibility. Today we are a team of 20 working with more than 40 private foundations, donor advised funds, and giving programs, over half of which are family philanthropic entities. Headquartered in Boston, MA, GMA supports grantmaking across New England, the USA, and the globe.
GMA’s Values and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We stand by this core belief, yet grapple with the structures and dynamics of philanthropy that reinforce historical and ongoing injustices such as economic inequality and racial oppression. Acutely aware of enormous societal challenges, we reaffirm our responsibility for realizing philanthropy’s potential – in ourselves, in our firm, and in our work.
Since 2019 we have accelerated our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive, and equitable. This is an ongoing journey, which is guided by a set of core values and by specific DEI goals set forth in a plan of action, accountability, and growth. We are currently measuring our progress in this area against four overarching goals:
- Advance an inclusive culture, based on trust, learning, and openness
- Support each staff member in reaching their goals and in sharing responsibility for GMA&#39;s success
- Prioritize diversity in recruitment and hiring
- Center DEI in our client work
Opportunity Going Forward
Over the past 40 years, GMA has earned a reputation as one of the most agile philanthropy-facing organizations in the country through the consistent and dedicated delivery of high-quality services to our clients. Today, we are in the midst of a dramatic transition of the players, expectations, and contexts of philanthropy, inviting us to explore new business opportunities in our role as a valued partner. GMA’s employee-owned business model and team approach are ingrained in our culture and evident in high levels of employee engagement in our success. Together, this team is ready to chart new directions for the next decade.
GMA seeks an imaginative leader who believes in the power of philanthropy and loves thinking about business strategy. Our next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will have a clear vision for building on the firm’s strengths and the capacity to manage to the goals of a small but ambitious professional services firm. High priorities for the next CEO will focus on the following areas of organizational development and impact:
- Equity and inclusion. We must continue to build momentum on our commitment to examining and reshaping the practices in philanthropy that reinforce historic inequities.
- Team development. Our work is fueled by our exceptional expertise and deep client relationships, which stem from our talented and dedicated team members. We will continue to build pathways for learning, growth, and advancement within the firm, while ensuring staff are able to balance their professional and personal lives.
- Marketing and visibility. We have worked hard to build a respected reputation and are eager to share our insights more broadly and seize on the potential for growth.
- Operations redesign. Our clients’ needs push us to stay nimble, maximize efficiencies, and continue to offer a full range of excellent services at a reasonable cost. We are prepared to re-assess our priorities for service delivery and marketing strategy.
- Data culture. Effective philanthropy thrives on data, analytics, and feedback. We want to do more to create a data culture that supports staff teams and foundation clients. We are also ready to implement the next wave of technological shifts in the company.
- Collaborative partnerships. The social capital of every staff member is part of our value proposition. Our history of collaboration and networking with our funder colleagues and nonprofit partners has barely scratched the surface.
- Service Offerings. The world as a whole, and philanthropy as an agent of change within it, are changing day by day. We will explore and embrace new service offerings and business development opportunities that build on our promise of effective and joyful giving.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Experience in and passion for the power of philanthropy as a force for good
- 10+ years of management experience in a leadership role in a philanthropic institution, private business or a public nonprofit organization
- Experience successfully leading such an organization through a period of significant growth and change preferred.
- Masters’ Degree in management, business administration, planning, philanthropy, or a related field preferred.
- Trusted Leader with Philanthropic Expertise and Business Acumen
- Exceptional Business Developer and Networker
- Imaginative, Collaborative and Inclusive Team Leader
150,000-170,000 plus benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Click here for more information or to apply. Candidates must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how the candidate’s qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of GMA. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Upload required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
Eos Transition Partners consultant Erin Cox is managing this search. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions can be submitted to Erin at [email protected]
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with