The Heising-Simons Foundation is a family foundation with offices in Los Altos and San Francisco. The Foundation works with its many partners to advance sustainable solutions in climate and clean energy, enable groundbreaking research in science, enhance the education of our youngest learners, and support human rights for all people. In 2018, the Foundation awarded more than $100 million. Since its first grant in 2007, the Foundation has awarded more than $400 million.
The Senior Accountant is a member of the Foundation’s administration team and is responsible for a variety of complex accounting activities and will participate in the accounting for the Heising-Simons Action Fund, a sister 501(c)(4) organization to the Foundation. The Senior Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and supervises the Accounting Assistant. This full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt (salaried) position can work in either our Los Altos or San Francisco, CA office.
Candidates are not expected to have experience in all areas listed in the job posting.
- General Accounting
- Oversee and manage income and expense classifications.
- Reconcile bank statements, investment accounts, petty cash, and credit cards.
- Review/prepare journal entries for accruals and reclassifications.
- Recommend systems for improved accounting procedures and financial controls.
- Reports & Documentation
- Assist in year-to-date analysis of budget versus actual on a monthly basis.
- Assist in quarterly board reports.
- Assist in financial analysis support and other tools for management.
- Capital Assets
- Capitalize assets according to accounting policy.
- Write-off assets when assets are disposed of or donated.
- Prepare monthly schedules for depreciation.
- Prepare information for annual audit.
- Prepare information for annual tax return (990-PF).
- Prepare contractors’ 1099 forms for distribution.
- Manage Accounting Assistant
- Develop goals, oversee tasks, and insure the quality of work and contributions to the Foundation meet our high standards.
- Review invoices, credit card expenses, and other bills entered in QuickBooks.
- Review and/or pay invoices via check, wire, or credit card.
- Track contracts for payment limits.
- Participate in various surveys (Compensation, Investments, Administration, Census Bureau, etc.).
- Help the Foundation promote and maintain environmentally friendly office practices.
- Pitch-in across the Foundation, as important deadlines or events approach, and participate in Foundation-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion work, internal culture-building, and process-improvement activities and initiatives.
- Pursue ongoing professional development opportunities and participate in Foundation-wide training sessions.
- Experience in QuickBooks.
- Advanced skills in Excel.
- Able to manage and prioritize a large volume of tasks and deadlines with attention to detail.
- Able to read, write, and produce professional written materials in English.
- Able to communicate and work effectively with people of different backgrounds, internally and externally, to achieve shared goals.
- Reliable, resourceful, proactive, and motivated to find creative solutions to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Able and willing to quickly learn and use new systems of technology, such as Microsoft Office applications, Salesforce, Zoom, and Box. Experience developing presentations in PowerPoint and maintaining databases is a plus.
- Committed to living the Foundation’s values.
Compensation and Benefits
- The target starting salary for this position is $80,000-100,000, depending on experience.
- We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, short and long term disability, business travel and life insurance, flexible spending accounts for medical and child care expenses, a 401(k) plan (with a matching contribution of up to 16%), commuting assistance, an employee assistance program (EAP), tuition reimbursement and a generous professional development budget, matching gifts, fitness reimbursements, fertility assistance, and identity theft protection. In addition, we allow some schedule flexibility and occasional telecommuting, with manager’s approval.
- Paid time off includes:
- Vacation Time – starting at 3 weeks per year
- Sick Time - 12 days per year
- Personal Time - 2 days per year
- Family Medical Leave
- Parental Leave
Our success is dependent on our ability to build teams that include people with different experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with new perspectives. We encourage people of color, from under-resourced communities, immigrants, LGBTQ+, and others with diverse perspectives and experiences to apply.
Please complete our online application at: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/176830/The-Heising-Simons-Foundation/Senior-Accountant