Inspired by a vision of people and nature thriving together, the Pisces Foundation is dedicated to improving the environment for present and future generations. In March 2017, the Pisces Foundation sparked the creation of a partnership with environmental foundations and non-profits around the country to organize for greater effectiveness. The OFGE initiative seeks to cultivate new energy and opportunities for a broad range of environmental funders and NGOs to connect with one another, sort and select joint priorities, and pursue large-scale collaborative action. By engaging the environmental field in creating robust field-wide social infrastructure, the OFGE initiative aims to enable the most effective response to immediate challenges as well as the ability to generate maximum, sustained power to achieve environmental protection and conservation goals over the long run. The successful candidate will join our mission-driven team for a two-year term to implement the OFGE initiative internally and externally. The position is located in the Foundation’s San Francisco headquarters. The Foundation has a second office in Washington, D.C.
The Pisces Fellow will serve as project manager of the Organizing for Greater Effectiveness (OFGE) initiative. This person will be responsible for day-to-day management and implementation of the Foundation’s work on the OFGE initiative, working with the Foundation’s President, including serving as a key point of contact for internal and external constituencies.
The ideal individual will be proactive and anticipatory in approach, possess excellent judgment in a variety of situations, demonstrate superior written and verbal communication skills, have a high attention to detail, exemplify an energetic, poised, and positive demeanor, and demonstrate the ability to balance multiple priorities. As a representative of the Foundation’s leadership, the successful candidate also must maintain the highest level of confidentiality and diplomacy regarding all Foundation matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Think strategically about, contribute to, and proactively maintain an updated project work plan with key actions and deadlines (considering the need for pacing, internal dialogue, and review), work with the Foundation President
- Keep Foundation staff well-informed of upcoming OFGE commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately, and support the Foundation President in effectively advancing the project
- Compose, proofread, and finalize complex correspondence, documents, meeting minutes, reports, and meeting materials, using experience and judgment
- Oversee administrative functions related to OFGE (i.e., scheduling, email communications, document management and filing)
- Research literature and examples within and outside the environmental field of movement networks and collaboration
- Conduct due diligence and prepare grants for consideration
- Other duties and special projects, as needed
- Support, and serve as the Foundation’s primary liaison with, the OFGE workgroup, including planning agendas and developing materials for workgroup calls, and helping to implement where appropriate tasks and projects initiated by the workgroup
- Oversee the maintenance of an OFGE-wide high-level work plan with the OFGE Coordinator
- Support, where appropriate, NGO engagement efforts and other OFGE projects
- Coordinate grantmaking with other participating foundations
- Other duties and special projects, as needed
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree/Experience
- 2+ years of relevant experience with a demonstrated track record of success; exposure to the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector a plus
- Alignment with environmental field’s mission
- Ability to think big picture as well as attend to day-to-day operations. Forward-looking thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including foundation staff, nonprofit staff, and community members
- Self-starter; highly motivated and resourceful team-player. Comfortable with ambiguity and the ability to work through solutions when there is no obvious path
- Activator; likes to get high quality work done
- Flexible and reflective; recognizes need for adaptation and evolution of network and job tasks
- Strong communication skills and emotional intelligence
- Cultural Humility; “ability to maintain an interpersonal stance that is other-oriented (or open to the other) in relation to aspects of cultural identity that are most important to the [person]”
Compensation: A competitive salary, based on experience, and a benefits package is available.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample combined as a single document in PDF format to: email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line, “Pisces Fellow/OFGE POSITION.” Please indicate where you saw the posting.
See http://www.piscesfoundation.org/ for more information on the Foundation.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of skills, experiences, and ideas. We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color or any other protected class.