Senior Director, Impact Investing (NY or DC)
This is an exciting opportunity for a mission-driven, results-oriented leader to develop Arabella Advisors’ burgeoning impact investing practice. The senior director will lead a dynamic team that works with foundations, families, and individuals with varying degrees of familiarity with the field. The team partners with philanthropists on the full spectrum of impact investing, including education, strategy development, deal sourcing, diligence, structuring, and monitoring. The senior director is responsible for managing the team and overseeing its work, including strategy implementation, client development and service, and operations. He or she will also represent the firm’s newest line of business at the leadership level, helping to guide internal strategy and identifying opportunities for innovation and growth. This position will report to Arabella’s Managing Director of Client Services.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About Arabella’s Impact Investing Team
Arabella works with funders of all kinds to help them better understand impact investing, develop strategies that complement their existing portfolios and program work, and source, structure, close, and monitor transactions. Our clients have varying degrees of experience with impact investing and employ different approaches—from grant funding to program-related investments (PRIs), mission-related investments (MRIs), and positive and negative screening of their personal portfolios. Our impact investing team works closely with clients to support them as needed, ensuring that we complement their own and their advisors’ existing knowledge and capacity. We expect applicants to have deep experience with impact investing.
Client Work (50%)
- Guide project managers to create client-focused, innovative II solutions
- Serve as main client contact for project and business development needs
- Lead the team’s acquisition of industry research and best practices for client implementation
Marketing and Business Development (30%)
- Work with the Impact Investing MD to drive sales across the organization of II products and services
- Lead, service and manage client and partner relationships
- Support the development of strong proposals and marketing collateral
Team Leadership and Management (20%)
- Manage, lead, and develop a growing and ambitious team in a rapidly evolving field
- Inform and implement strategy for the LOB, including competitive positioning, growth targets, and marketing plan
- Manage team workload, capacity, budget, and structure
- Identify, implement, and track annual team objectives
- Support the professional development and growth of all members of the Impact Investing team
- Support cross LOB partnerships and work with the Senior Management Team to support the overall success of the organization.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Substantial expertise (10 or more years) working in the investment sector, ideally with a specific focus on impact investing, in roles requiring significant leadership and relationship management experience
- Proven success as an investor, with experience overseeing complex financial transactions
- Experience and/or interest in building and scaling investment products desired
- Graduate degree in relevant field (business, finance, etc.) and/or CFA
- Management and supervisory experience. At least 10-15 years of work experience with steadily increasing job responsibility
- Experience in social enterprise, nonprofit management, finance, business, and/or consulting
- Outstanding client relationship development skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the impact investing field and key players
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to manage and lead a complex project, to oversee and delegate to others on the team, and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexible, with an excellent sense of humor
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work.
Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address why you want to work at Arabella. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.