Since 2004 Interise has been a national leader in business-led economic development. Our innovative approach to leveraging the growth potential of established small businesses in lower income communities was recognized in 2008 by the Smaller Business Association of New England when we received their New England Innovation Award, which recognizes organizations that have the potential to be a game changer. (Other past winners include Zipcar, E Ink, Hubspot, Genzyme, and VistaPrint.) After rigorous screening and proof of impact, Interise was chosen as a member of the Social Impact 100 (S&I 100 Index www.SI100.org), signifying that it is one of America’s top-performing 100 organizations on this first-ever broad index of U.S. nonprofits. Since 2008 Interise has been the national instructional provider for the SBA’s Emerging Leaders Initiative.
Small businesses are the U.S. job creation growth engine, generating 64% of net new jobs over the past 15 years. We provide established small employers with the management education and business know-how needed to plan, achieve, and manage the long-term growth of their businesses. Completion of our award-winning curriculum—the StreetWise ‘MBA’™--leads directly to business growth, net new job creation, and community leadership. As a result, Interise businesses create jobs at 5x to 7x the rate of the private sector as a whole. 93% of Interise business owners are women, minorities, immigrants or located in a low- to moderate-income community.
Through a national network of partners, Interise currently works in 65 cities across the country –with new partners joining the network on a monthly basis. Almost 3000 small business owners have partnered with Interise to grow their existing small businesses. Our Annual Impact Report details the outcomes arising from our work: http://www.interise.org/our_impact/annual_report_card. We follow the Harry Truman Theory of Social Impact – “It’s amazing what you can achieve when you don’t care who gets the credit”. To learn more about how we do this, visit our website at https://www.interise.org/get-involved/partnerships.
Interise uses a mixed income business model. Earned income (a combination of government contracts, license fees and tuition) comprises 80% of Interise’s annual revenue. Interise plans to maintain this model as it continues its national expansion.
For more information: www.interise.org
Reporting to the Director of External Affairs, the Senior Development Manager (SDM) serves as a key External Affairs team member, and is responsible for ensuring effective implementation of fundraising and development activities. The SDM will assist in the design and implementation of a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating and stewarding philanthropic, government, and individual relationships.
The SDM will have responsibility for achieving the development target through responding to federal and state request for proposals, the stewardship of foundation and corporate donors and the promises made to them, and organization of events. Our current annual fundraising target is $750,000. We expect this target to increase as the Director for Corporate Partnerships and External Relations and the Senior Development Manager systematically and effectively strengthen the organization's overall fundraising capacity and expand and diversify Interise’s donor base/pipeline.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors, building long-term relationships. S/he will have a flexible and adaptive work style, with the ability to work both independently without close oversight and as a team player. S/he will be a strategic thinker and planner with strong project management skills, who can productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Interise. S/he will evidence life-long learning and the drive to thrive upon new challenges and opportunities. Lastly, s/he will have a healthy sense of humor, and an appreciation for exploration and fun in the workplace.
Reports to: Director of Corporate Partnerships and External Affairs
Works with: Marketing and Communications Manager, Social Media Assistant, Director of Programs, and the Senior Research Manager.
Strategy and Implementation
- Assist the Director of External Relations in development and execution of Interise’s annual fundraising plan.
- Sustain and steward relationships with current funders and donors.
- Identify and research potential new donors and funders.
- Collaborate with the Program Manager (Continual Engagement) on the organization of special events, ensuring that sponsorship targets are achieved.
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Ensure the implementation of the grants management process, liaising with the Director of Programs to ensure that all commitments are communicated internally and included in the planning of the program staff.
- Develop and implement communication strategy for existing and potential donors and funders.
- Liaise with the Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure obtain the media coverage promised to corporate sponsors.
Interise is an entrepreneurial organization. All staff share administrative responsibility for the organization, assume new and emerging responsibilities as the organization evolves, and engage in learning opportunities to share new information and knowledge that can help inform the future of the organization.
All Interise staff must have demonstrated leadership skills and a passion for urban communities.
Other requirements include:
- BA (required), MA (a plus) (A degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field is preferred)
- 5-plus years’ experience in development with demonstrated success in the development function
- Proven success in the hands-on management of the grantmaking process and multiple donor relationships,
- Strong customer focus
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and managerial skills
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including excellent grammar, writing, and editing ability
- Proficient computer skills: MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), knowledge of customer relations management software (preferably Salesforce), or similar contact management database software
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, to Steve Kirk at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.