Our team needs a dynamic and enthusiastic individual that can jump in and support the accounting needs of one of the fastest growing nonprofit organizations in the country. We incubate new and innovative nonprofit projects, and the Senior Accountant helps our clients manage their resources for positive societal impact. We need you to be highly organized, have a demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously and have a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting practices. You will work closely with our clients, or the external individuals that run the fiscally sponsored projects, to provide accurate accounting and reporting. The right candidate has strong client service skills and enjoys working in a fast paced, mission driven environment.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists, and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience in the field. We are a team of passionate problem-solvers: mission-driven and action-oriented, with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
This position supports the work of our Managed Organizations team.
The Managed Organizations team at Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). Both managed organizations serve as fiscal sponsors to new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate donor collaboratives and grants programs. The organizations support a range of public interest projects, the majority of which focus on conservation and global health. The organizations have also managed programs focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
Candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual program and project financial reports for donor review, as well as ad hoc analyses upon donor request
- Manage project budget tracking, produce cash flow forecasts, and assist in project cash flow management
- Perform routine GL account reconciliations as part of monthly closing procedures for all assigned managed organization programs and projects
- Work closely with client services team to ensure client service standards are met General Accounting
- Assist in producing monthly managed nonprofit entity specific financial reports and metrics for the leadership team
- Assist in reporting team metrics on a regular basis; examine trends and identify accounts that deserve attention to enhance quality control
- Review accounting transactions prepared by the accounting associates and staff accountants
- Manage an accounting transaction cycle process. Work with accounting associates, staff accountants and accounting manager to ensure compliance with established processes and controls
- Assist in timely, accurate monthly closing of the books and records
- Prepare account analysis and reconciliations for various general ledger accounts as assigned
- Assist in preparation of schedules to support financial audits and preparation of Form 990 and other tax/regulatory returns
- Work with team to be highly responsive to internal and external client needs
- Ensure compliance with federal grant reporting requirements.
- Assist in utilizing technology to gain efficiencies
- Work with the project management team to refine processes to drive efficiency and quality control
Team Learning, Performance Management, and Communications
- Encourage and lead team learning activities, and proactively participate in learning activities
- Focus development on technical skills necessary to provide high quality service to a diverse portfolio of clients
- Provide technical accounting assistance to the team
- Manages parts or whole team objectives
- Influence and motivate others to reach their project goals
- Supports the development and mentorship of junior staff
- Analyze, synthesize, and communicate information to various audiences
- Authors various communications for stakeholders
- Presents financial data directly to stakeholders
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Four or more years of relevant professional experience maintaining books with non-profit organizations
- Proficiency with accounting software, report design, and Excel Experience with full-cycle GL, AP & AR accounting processes
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex financial matters to non-financial personnel
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience managing federal grants/contracts
- Experience with lobbying rules and regulations
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we pay 100% of premiums and in-network deductibles for health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; $1,500 a year for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address why you want to work at Arabella and why this is your dream job. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.