The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI organizations across the globe. Our grantee partners pursue strategies ranging from arts and cultural activism to international human rights advocacy and work on a diversity of issues such as trans human rights, LGBTQ immigrant rights and freedom from violence.
Program Interns work closely with Astraea’s Program Team to learn about and contribute to our support of over 130 grassroots LGBTQI groups around the world. In addition to learning about Astraea’s history and values, Program Interns receive training and guidance on our progressive grantmaking model and learn about LGBTQI, feminist and social justice movements globally. Interns can expect to be involved in a variety of aspects of Astraea’s grantmaking, capacity building and leadership development, and philanthropic advocacy programs, including:
- Researching conditions experienced by LGBTQI communities in the U.S. and internationally;
- Drafting grant summaries for review in grantmaking decisions;
- Responding to inquiries from potential applicants;
- Producing written and visual content about Astraea’s programs and grantee partners;
- Monitoring social media and identifying opportunities to amplify grantee partners’ work;
- Coordinating community briefings by visiting activists;
- Assisting with grants processing and awards;
- Translating key documents to facilitate outreach and communication with grantee partners; and,
- Special projects as needed.
Astraea particularly seeks interns with Spanish or other language proficiency, in addition to English.
Internships have a minimum commitment of 3 months. Arrangements can be made to work between 10 and 15 hours per week.
$10/Hour. School credits are accepted.
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter describing your interest in a program internship with Astraea to email@example.com.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Applications are considered as they are received.