Arabella Advisors - Chicago, Washington DC, or San Francisco
The HR External Client Partner is a member of a growing team of HR consultants at Arabella Advisors who provides expertise-based services to a suite of nonprofit organizations with whom Arabella works, primarily the New Venture Fund. In this role, you will provide client coaching on sensitive HR issues, deliver dedicated client support, manage initiatives related to compliance and training, and execute vital human resources functions such as payroll and benefits for Arabella Advisors’ nonprofit affiliates. Additionally, you will help to free up operational capacity and thereby multiply the social impact of Arabella Advisors and its clients by managing relationships with internal account managers and external client liaisons, streamlining effective communications, and empowering clients to achieve their social goals while navigating associated legal and regulatory issues.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team re-shaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you. Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes- focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About Arabella’s Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
External Client Work
- Provide exceptional daily HR service to client.
- Help to manage complex leadership, staffing, and personnel situations, such as situations related to performance, rapid growth, restructuring, terminations, etc.
- Act as dedicated HR account manager for complex clients, liaising with client contacts and internal account managers.
- Provide ad hoc coaching and guidance on performance management situations, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and policies, and keeping a laser-focus on achieving organizational and project objectives.
- Maintain employee confidence and protect confidentiality of personnel data.
Internal Systems Support
- Partner with the HR director in developing and supporting HR’s objectives, outputs, and standards.
- Maintain and deploy working knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and benefit plans.
- In conjunction with HR director, manage benefits plan design, execution, renewals, and administration of open enrollment.
- Help to design, create, and lead mandatory, voluntary, and ad hoc training programs.
- Administer policies related to employees, contractors, interns, and volunteers.
- Help to create future policies, including gathering supporting field and staff data, drafting policy, and rolling out new policy initiatives. Maintain Human Resources Information System (HRIS), including maintaining integrity of the systems, updating as needed, and developing regular and ad hoc reports that can inform strategic decision making
- Proactively suggest process and systems improvements to senior team members.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in HR with experience administering the full range of benefits programs (primarily health, retirement, and cafeteria plans)
- Experience administering payroll, an HRIS and/or benefits programs
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, with a strong customer service mentality and high degree of integrity, accountability, and emotional intelligence
- Experience managing high volume of tasks with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills with the ability to take a thoughtful approach to addressing challenges
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; strong preference for a Master’s in HR, PHR certification, or equivalent
- Experience in a progressive, mission-driven, and entrepreneurial environment
- Executive-level and/or client facing experience highly desired
- Experience in rapid growth environment preferred
- Optimism, adaptability, and a good sense of humor
- Knowledge of California labor law a plus
- Experience in a PEO or equivalent a plus
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address why you want to work at Arabella Advisors. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials. Please submit all materials here: http://www.arabellaadvisors.com/careers/open-position/?gnk=job&gni=8a78824755a4be670155bd591b2d1e41&gns=Emerging%20Practitioners%20in%20Philanthropy
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.