The California Wellness Foundation
Woodland Hills, CA
GRANTS MANAGER - Woodland Hills Office
The California Wellness Foundation (Cal Wellness) is a private independent foundation created in 1992 with a mission to improve the health of the people of California by making grants for health promotion, wellness education and disease prevention. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded 7,690 grants totaling more than $912 million. It is one of the state’s largest private foundations. To learn more about the Foundation, visit our website at www.CalWellness.org.
The Grants Manager provides management and direction, with guidance from the Director of Grants Management, in various research projects and duties to ensure alignment with the Foundation’s grantmaking program and overall mission and goals. A special focus of this position is to transform data management from a manual process to an automated process to ensure accurate and efficient reporting of grant-related data. Please note that planning is underway to relocate the Woodland Hills Office during 2017 to a yet undetermined location in the Los Angeles area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Has primary responsibility to oversee the administration of the grants management databases including design, maintenance and oversight of workflow processes and procedures to ensure accurate and efficient collection and reporting of grants data; approves all templates related to the grantmaking process; and directs the generation of reports and statistics.
- Designs, administers, and maintains IGAM, GIFTS, dashboards, forms, templates, reports, and data structure. Oversees grant work flow processes related to data entry to ensure adequate internal controls and oversees quality control of data to ensure accurate and efficient reporting of grants data.
- Designs, implements and monitors grants management workflow processes and procedures; transforms and oversees the continual improvement of grants management operational systems, processes and policies including automation of manual coding and quality assurance processes; develops, writes, maintains and implements all grants management policies and procedures.
- Responds to grant data requests and inquiries from internal and external audiences, including preparation of data analysis and generation of reports:
- produces internal data summaries, reports, coding verifications, grant statistics, geographic reports and custom analysis as needed, for the board of directors, executive office, grants program, evaluation, finance, and public affairs;
- provides links between program, finance, information technology, public affairs and other staff so that all activities related to grant data collection and reporting are smoothly implemented;
- generates mailing list requests; and
- produces periodic reports required by the IRS and/or other regulatory agencies.
- Creates and monitors program and management budgets.
- Develops and maintains a project management system through intranet to track progress, to provide regular feedback and to ensure timely completion of project deliverables.
- Maintains electronic PA and GM manuals and updates program section of policy and procedures manual.
- Generates mailing list requests; and non-standard grant transactions such as, refunds and voided checks and other grant anomalies related to the database.
- Assists and participates in various internal Foundation committees and activities.
- Develops professional and respectful work relationships with colleagues.
- Ensures compliance with IRS regulations and Foundation requirements for grants.
- Assists in the preparation of docket materials for Board meetings.
- Negotiates and facilitates sensitive issues in the grant-making process.
- Serves as back-up to the Director, Grants Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in data management and administration preferred or equivalent experience.
- Five (5) years in data management and administration with a relational database system; some exposure to grants administration and/or non-profit organizations is highly desirable.
- Solid understanding of relational databases.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat, Crystal Reports, InDesign and MicroEdge Gifts.
- Ability and experience working collaboratively with and managing projects that include external organizations and entities.
- Strong logic, analytical and problem-solving abilities with solid understanding of complex data management.
- Solid planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy, protocol and deadlines.
- Excellent writing ability that is clear, concise and analytic in style.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, diplomacy, and customer service skills including solid presentation and facilitation skills, with the ability to interact with and mobilize a wide and diverse population.
- Effective managerial, project management and customer service skills, with the ability to oversee and prioritize multiple projects and effectively manage work flow to meet deadlines.
- High level of flexibility and responsiveness with the ability to shift priorities quickly and as organizational demands require.
- Ability to take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively.
- High level of discretion in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive materials and issues.
- Ability to function and interact in a professional level capacity to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation.
- Ability to understand and consider organizational culture and change.
- Broad and strategic mindset, creative aptitude and effective use of independent judgment.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. The Foundation's benefit package is inclusive of medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability coverage and offers flexible spending and 401(k) plans. A positive work environment that supports work-life balance is provided.
E-mail, fax, or mail résumé with cover letter and salary history to:
Human Resources Department The California Wellness Foundation
6320 Canoga Avenue, Suite 1700 Woodland Hills, CA 91367
The Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer