Summary of Position
Transportation Alternatives is a nationally renowned non-profit focused on transportation issues in New York City. Transportation Alternatives boosts a citywide network of tens of thousands of supporters committed to reclaiming New York City’s streets for people by ensuring that every New Yorker has safe space to walk and bike and access to public transportation. Every day, all over the city, we're working to make New York City’s neighborhoods safer and restore a vibrant culture of street life.
The Director of Major Gifts & Membership (DMGM) is responsible for the planning and implementation of all fundraising and marketing strategies involved in the individual donor program including major gifts, membership and other projects; overseeing the CRM team; overseeing the administration function of the department including processing gifts, correspondence and coding; serving on project teams for special events and marketing projects as needed; and planning, implementing and overseeing other special projects as they are established as priorities.
- Create budgets, establish forecasts and prepare evaluations for individual donor programs that can be used in the departmental fundraising plan, in the organizational budget and for senior management discussions
- Participate in the creation of the departmental fundraising plan and work with direct reports to create action plans that support the main plan
- Planning and implementing in collaboration with the development director a major gifts program that includes special events and special stewardship
- Work on special event project teams as appropriate, especially in terms of marketing efforts.
- Bring forward ideas for new fundraising initiatives
- Develop and organize new membership, individual giving and systems projects as they arise
- 5-7 years (or more) professional experience as a front-line fundraiser, with increasing levels of responsibility and success
- Demonstrated success in major gifts, including personally stewarding and closing gifts of up to five figures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a high comfort level with direct donor engagement
- Experience with membership and annual fund campaigns, online fundraising, event planning and corporate sponsorship
- Experience using and managing fundraising databases (experience with Convio Luminate is a plus)
- Experience with planned giving is a plus
- Specialized training in: Salesforce, Convio or similar donor databases, helpful but not required
- Commitment to NYC
- Comfort working independently in a fast-paced campaign environment
- A sense of humor
We offer competitive salary and benefits including an employer contributed health/dental plan, a matching retirement plan, 3 weeks paid vacation, professional development opportunities, transit/bike commuter benefits and indoor bike parking. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to :
firstname.lastname@example.org “Director of Major Gifts” in the subject line
No phone calls or walk-ins, please. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference.