The Community Engagement Program supports three groups of volunteer parent advocates working to make Contra Costa healthier, safer, and more equitable for families. The parent groups build power among those least represented in public decision-making and advocate for policies and programs that foster neighborhood safety, children’s health, housing security and racial/immigrant justice.
The Community Liaison supports the West and Central County Regional Groups (WCRG and CCRG) with internal organization, project implementation, leadership development, and coalition building. The Community Liaison will be responsible for new member recruitment, event planning, training coordination and collaborating with local agencies.
Candidates should possess cultural humility and experience working with diverse community groups, and be committed to improving community health and safety through resident empowerment and policy change.
This position will be part of a dynamic Community Engagement team which includes a Program Officer, Coordinator and two Liaisons.
Standard Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and advocacy coaching to regional group members in one-on-one settings and in groups.
- Provide information and referral support to regional group members.
- Provide outreach, recruitment and base-building support to the Central and West County Regional Groups.
- Arrange regional group and community meetings, and trainings including securing event location, food, childcare, oral interpretation services, and preparation of meeting materials.
- Perform turnout and reminder calls to the regional group members.
- Establish partnerships with local agencies, community groups, relevant stakeholders, and elected officials.
- Represent First 5 Contra Costa at various collaborative community meetings and with elected officials in West and Central County.
- Meet monthly with Community Engagement Program Officer to strategize and report on progress. Submit weekly progress reports and workplans.
- Work independently and also as part of the Community Engagement team; coordinate with the East County Liaison in shared responsibilities for CCRG projects.
Participate, as a staff team member, in other Commission activities and projects as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Associates Degree or equivalent, or two to three years experience in similar position with progressive responsibility
- Bi-lingual and bi-literate in Spanish and English with proven ability to provide written translation using correct vocabulary, accents, grammar, and sentence structure
- Experience working directly with families
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Self starter and ability to work independently
- Skilled in working with diverse communities and groups
- Resourceful and skilled at gathering information
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentations
- Knowledge of West Contra Costa County
- Valid California driver’s license
- Experience with community organizing, policy advocacy, and campaign implementation.
- Understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities facing low-income communities and communities of color in West and Central Contra Costa County.
- Knowledge of the political and service agency landscape in West and Central Contra Costa.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary range is $46,866-$56,180 commensurate with experience. First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package
About First 5 Contra Costa: Research shows that a child’s brain develops most dramatically in the first five years and what parents and caregivers do during these years to support their child’s growth will have a meaningful impact throughout life. Based on this research, California voters passed Proposition 10 in 1998, adding a 50 cents-per-pack tax on tobacco products to support programs for expectant parents and children ages 0 to 5. Since its inception, First 5 Contra Costa has distributed more than $130 million in Prop. 10 revenues to programs and services that meet local needs.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and include a brief letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position
Electronic submission should include Community Liaison in the subject line and be sent to: HR@firstfivecc.org. Or mail to First 5 Contra Costa, HR, Community Liaison, 1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer