Funders for a Just Society
Reports to: Mandy Van Deven, Communications Officer
Location: New York, NY
Some domestic and international travel is required.
Foundation for a Just Society supports innovative, intersectional, grassroots strategies that meet immediate needs while igniting long-term, structural change in communities and regions that have been overlooked by philanthropy. We support the entire ecosystem of transformative movements — across issues and regions — by following the lead of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people who catalyze change every day in their communities and countries. We share resources to strengthen the movements that create a world where all people are valued and lead self-determined lives. Through direct grantmaking, capacity building, strategic communications, and leadership in philanthropy, we advance the human rights of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people globally.
The communications team works closely with program staff and other colleagues across the foundation to carry out strategic initiatives that enhance the impact of our grantee partners and advance our mission. The Communications Officer plays an essential role in implementing the communications strategy and supports data-driven projects related to strengthening the communications capacities of our grantee partners, project management, philanthropic advocacy, and grantmaking.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced project manager and capacity builder whose approach to their work is meticulous and guided by strategic and analytical thinking. This person is an independent and adaptive problem solver who works collaboratively with colleagues in a dynamic and growing philanthropy. They will have five or more years of experience working in grassroots and global organizations that advance the human rights of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee a robust communications capacity building program for regional grantee cohorts
- Maintain close contact with cohort participants to diagnose areas of improvement and speedily implement changes
- Work with program staff to determine shared priorities regarding regional communications capacity needs and evaluate communications capacity building funding requests
- Monitor meaningful performance indicators, analyze data, and write reports in order to make ongoing improvements to the communications strategy
- Participate in meetings, convenings, and working groups pertaining to the communications strategy
- Seek opportunities for FJS and grantee partners to deepen engagement with key influencers and amplify influence
- Assist with planning and implementation for meetings and events
- Build relationships with and manage external consultants
- Engage in professional development opportunities to enhance skills, build relationships, and keep the foundation up-to-date on current and emerging trends
- Perform other communications-related tasks as assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to the foundation's vision and deep alignment with its values
- Sophisticated understanding of grassroots and global women's and LGBTI rights movements; understands the role of philanthropy in transformative change
- Significant experience writing and talking about social justice using an intersectional lens; ability to convey the depth and complexity of issues in a way that remains accessible to broad audiences
- At least five years of experience in communications, advocacy, capacity building, or similar role within the nonprofit or philanthropic sectors; proven track record in executing the responsibilities of this position
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Understanding of programmatic monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to adeptly manage multiple projects simultaneously and precisely
- Effectively manages competing priorities and can reprioritize tasks as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills that includes sensitivity to and respect for colleagues' time, work styles, and needs
- Willingness to embrace critical feedback with a positive attitude
- Takes initiative, is self-motivated, and has a desire to learn and improve skills
- Shows discretion and ability to effectively manage confidentiality issues
- French and/or Spanish fluency
HOW TO APPLY
Email a concise and compelling cover letter, two relevant writing samples, and your resume in one PDF to email@example.com by October 15, 2016. Please include "Communications Officer – YOUR NAME" in the subject line.
All applications must be received via email. No phone inquiries please.
COMPENSATION + CULTURE
FJS offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a collegial working environment. We employ a small staff and are dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and work-life balance.
FJS deeply values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds, including gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation.