PEAK Grantmaking improves how grants get made by building experts in grants management and equipping them with the most effective practices to implement in their grantmaking organizations. When grantmaking practices are at their “peak,” more resources are focused on mission over administration for both grantmakers and grantseekers, leading to greater impact for the causes and communities served.
PEAK Grantmaking’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) plays a critical role in accomplishing this mission by bringing a deep knowledge and experience in philanthropy and grants management to our membership, education, and communications departments, ensuring these cross-cutting functions work in close partnership with each other and with the rest of the organization to achieve PEAK Grantmaking’s strategic and revenue goals.
In addition, the COO manages annual and multi-year planning processes across the organization and works with staff to evaluate and communicate strategic plan results. This position also manages our organization operations, including finance, human resources, and administration.
The COO must have exceptional executive skills to direct and manage highly experienced and knowledgeable department heads and a willingness to manage the day-to-day operations responsibilities directly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Membership, Education, and Communications
- Oversee PEAK Grantmaking’s membership department, working with the Membership Director to generate and support strategies to attract and retain members, engage volunteers, and build PEAK Grantmaking’s regional chapters.
- Oversee PEAK Grantmaking’s education department, working with the Education Director to generate and support strategies to build experts and leaders in grants management.
- Oversee PEAK Grantmaking’s communications function, working with staff to develop compelling messages and effective mediums to reach members and non-members to promote practice improvements, increase engagement in PEAK Grantmaking programs and services, and bring more visibility to the profession, practices, and the organization.
- Lead efforts to raise over $2M in membership contributions and earned income from education offerings annually.
Operations: Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Design and implement multi-year planning processes which engage staff, key stakeholders, and the PEAK Grantmaking board in the development of a strategic plan and works with staff to prepare and present any annual adjustments to that plan to the board.
- Help to shape and inform PEAK Grantmaking’s strategic direction through meaningful engagement with internal and external stakeholders; supporting the use of and access to data for informed decision making; and ensuring systems are in place to monitor quality and evaluate performance.
- Ensure that the CEO and senior staff receive the critical feedback and data needed to make strategic decisions, such as operations status, revenue and expense reports, and updates on infrastructure or human resource issues.
- Promote an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, teamwork, and a common organizational vision.
Operations: Finance & Budgeting
- Lead and coordinate all facets of PEAK Grantmaking’s financial management with the senior management team, overseeing the preparation of the annual budget to best support organizational decision-making and the realization of programmatic priorities.
- Manage PEAK Grantmaking’s accounting firm and oversee execution and continual improvement of business policies and accounting practices to ensure that proper financial controls and procedures are in place and used.
- Monitor monthly financial reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled.
- Support the board Finance Committee, facilitating the committee’s oversight of PEAK Grantmaking’s financial position and 990 preparation.
- Manage the annual audit process, and implement changes based on auditor recommendations. Support the board Audit Committee, facilitating the committee’s oversight of the annual audit and policies and procedures.
- Ensure PEAK Grantmaking’s compliance with regulatory and reporting requirements of all internal and external stakeholders, including the IRS, funders, auditors, partners, the Board of Directors, and others, and ensure timely information-sharing as required.
- Ensure that proper risk management practices are in place.
- Raise staff awareness and knowledge of financial matters affecting the organization.
Operations: Human Resources
- Manage the human resource function, which includes recruitment, hiring, training, professional development, assessment, termination, and compensation including:
- Manage PEAK Grantmaking’s Professional Employer Organization to deliver effective benefits plans and developing appropriate processes to ensure smooth HR operations for staff and the organization.
- Manage employee onboarding, including new employee orientation and maintenance of the Employee Handbook.
- Provide guidance to supervisors on hiring decisions, staff professional development, and performance evaluation.
- Develop and implement efficient organizational policies and processes that ensure compliance with regulations without undue bureaucracy
- Manage purchasing policies and procedures, including contract negotiations and renewals, appropriate internal corporate card use and payment policies and procedures
- Manage PEAK Grantmaking’s technology consultant and all services to ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure. Work with staff to implement new technologies to create efficiency and integrated systems.
- Serve as the liaison with PEAK Grantmaking’s landlord (we sublease our space) to oversee PEAK Grantmaking’s physical space.
To perform effectively in this position, the COO should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Development new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Focus on member needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of members to meet or exceed their expectations
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Think Strategically: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
- Personal Education: Shows the willingness to learn both in continuing education upon their knowledge base and to add new areas to their skills.
- Minimum of a BA (MBA preferred)
- At least 7‐10 years of professional experience in grants management or philanthropy; ideally with financial and operations management experience
- Demonstrated leadership either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
Email resume and cover letter explaining interest and fit for the position to email@example.com.