DreamYard, founded in 1994, is a Bronx-based organization that uses the arts, social justice pedagogy and digital and connected learning to inspire youth, public schools, and communities. DreamYard’s yearlong arts programs develop artistic voice, nurture young people’s desire to make a change and cultivate the skills necessary to reach positive goals. By committing to sustained learning opportunities along an educational pathway, with 45 partnering public schools K-12th Grade, with our own DY Prep HS School and at the DreamYard Art Center in Morrisania, DreamYard supports young people as they work toward higher learning, meaningful careers, and social action. We seek to be effective locally while having a national impact through partnerships, collaboration, and learning exchanges.
DreamYard is committed to the principles of arts education, educational reform and social justice, and fashions its programs to specifically address the needs of urban communities that are typically underrepresented because of race, sex, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status.
Scope of Work
This is a year-round position, reporting to the Director, SYEP and Work-Based Learning Program. The Coordinator is committed to being the liaise between SYEP, DreamYard, HERE-to-HERE, and CareerClue in an effort to ensure excellent support and resources for year-round Work-Based Learning (WBL) programming. The ideal candidate will be experienced with SYEP, and highly organized administrator who skillfully communicates summer and year-round program needs to a variety of stakeholders and has the ability to navigate through the complexity of working with DYCD.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders at DreamYard Campus, Here to Here staff etc. to recruit new businesses and organizations for quality work-based learning opportunities for students;
- Create and own a pipeline of businesses/industries willing to participate in work-based learning; collaborate and liaise with DreamYard and Here to Here for opportunities;
- Disseminate information on summer Work-Based Learning programs to employers, parents, teachers, students, and staff;
- Roll-out, lead and own the compliance process and partner with all stakeholders to assess, screen, interview, select, and place qualified students into work-based learning experiences based on their career interests and program of study;
- Oversee the administrative implementation at every stage of the SYEP program;
- Monitor SYEP activities including recruitment, registration, the collection of documentation, orientation, payroll, and program implementation and ensure compliance with city agency requirements;
- Conduct pre-assessments and weekly assessments of work sites during the summer program travel as needed;
- Plan, coordinate, and assist with facilitation of work readiness training workshops and participant orientation;
- Monitor and review incident reports and informs DYCD of all incidents;
- Prepare, review, and edit written materials as needed for correspondence, brochures, and agendas;
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and materials to support the Summer Youth Employment Program;
- Participate in professional development and external meetings and conferences, including DYCD meetings;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Superb communication skills and high emotional intelligence;
- A keen leader who inspires young people to be the best version of themselves; possess an ability to create cohesive teams through effective communication and coaching;
- High Achiever, who has a demonstrated track record of achieving results;
- Creative Thinker with the ability to navigate and resolve the complexities of working with different city-wide agencies in order to achieve results;
- Empathic - posses the charisma, patience, warmth to work with young people;
- Client service oriented - seeks to be the face and voice of the summer youth and WBL program;
- Forward thinker, active listener and proactive who takes pride in his/her work;
- Versed and committed to DreamYard’s culture and community driven by core values, and commitments to social justice and racial equity.
- BA degree;
- Minimum of 3 years' working in Youth Services in a coordinator role/capacity; Bilingual, English/Spanish a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with teams. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to travel when visiting work sites or taking field trips, using public transportation.
- Familiarity with the Department of Youth Services and SYEP program requirements strongly preferred
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please include the title of the job you are applying for.
DreamYard provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.