The Senior Development Officer is a senior leader of the development team and will partner closely with the Vice President of Development to carry out Foundation’s planned giving strategy as well as other departmental objectives. S/he will grow and manage a significant portfolio of high net-worth prospects, moving them from qualification through solicitation and close; in the process, developing long‐term relationships built on a firm understanding of donors’ interests, passions, and values as they relate to the EBCF’s mission. The Senior Development Officer will play a vital role in supporting the organization’s continued growth at this particularly exciting time for the Foundation.
· Identify, qualify, and manage a portfolio of potential and current major donors, and assist them in the establishment of new funds at EBCF (donor-advised funds, testamentary funds, field of interest funds, supporting organizations, agency funds).
· Oversee and manage current planned giving portfolio, which includes charitable remainder trusts, charitable gift annuities, bequests and life-estates.
· Steward fund holder relationships (individuals, families, agencies, and testamentary),
in order to:
o Ensure an optimal client experience
o Grow funds strategically
o Solicit unrestricted gifts and/or support for community impact fund
· Lead strategy, research, and cultivation efforts for one of EBCF’s geographic regions of the East Bay (e.g. southern Alameda County, Tri-Valley, Contra Costa County). Candidates with deep knowledge and relationships in either southern Alameda County or Contra Costa County preferred.
· Collaborate with the Foundation’s programs team to develop individual granting plans for assigned donors who seek a higher degree of EBCF input and education in their philanthropic plans
· Lead strategy, research, and cultivation efforts for strategic priority groups
· Engage in community promotion, advocacy, and education efforts which will advance EBCF’s image and visibility and increase awareness of its fundraising and service opportunities
· Passion for the mission of EBCF
· Strong commitment to professional excellence and an annual program of professional development related to fundraising and/or planned giving
· Ability to self-manage and work independently, but also collaboratively
· Excellent oral and written communications skills
Skills and Competencies
· Bachelor’s degree; Advanced degree, CFRE, CAP, and/or work experience is highly desirable
· At least four years of professional fundraising, donor relations, alumni relations, or sales experience
· Experience in working and developing strong relationship with diverse individuals
· Disciplined, regular use of a central database/ client relationship management system to document all donor and prospect contacts to plan future work
· Strong knowledge of philanthropic practices, ethical standards, gift acceptance policies, and fund type implementation
· Knowledge of all programmatic work of the Foundation to leverage in the representation of opportunities for investment for the community
Founded in 1928, The East Bay Community Foundation -- one of the oldest and largest community foundations in the United States -- is a leading resource for mobilizing financial and leadership resources to transform East Bay communities. By leveraging its own philanthropic resources and position with those of the private, public, and non-profit sectors, EBCF is a critical force for change in the dynamically changing region.
EBCF grants to organizations and initiatives throughout the region from its own endowment and from donor recommendations in two key focus areas: economic development and support for early childhood success. EBCF also strives to be a leader in promoting equity and inclusion, placing high value on the cultural, racial, ethnic, economic, and sexual diversity of the East Bay to develop innovative approaches for building sustainable communities. EBCF holds itself accountable to equity and inclusion by creating and retaining a Board and staff who reflect the diversity of the East Bay so that it can provide donors and communities with the broadest possible perspective. Learn more about the East Bay Community Foundation at http://www.ebcf.org.
Location: Oakland, CA
Application Deadline: June 23, 2017
Compensation: This position offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, in line with the field of philanthropy.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, three references, and salary expectations to email@example.com.
Applications will be acknowledged by email response. No phone inquiries, please.
EBCF is an equal-opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply