- Good in Theory, Problems in Practice: Young professionals’ views on popular leadership development strategies (YNPN 2011)
- Daring to Lead: A National study of Nonprofit Executive Leadership (CompassPoint, 2011)
- Leadership Learning Community (website)
- The Center for Creative Leadership Handbook of Leadership Development (Ellen Van Velsor et al; Wiley, 2010)
- Initiative for Nonprofit Talent and Leadership Development (website, Independent Sector)
- Supporting NextGeneration Leadership: Action Guide (Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, 2008) Requires GEO membership to access.
- Investing in Leadership, Vol. 1, Executive Summary (Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, 2009) Requires GEO membership to access.
- Investing in Leadership, Vol. 2, Executive Summary (Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, 2009) Requires GEO membership to access.
EPIP is not alone in addressing issues of nonprofit talent and leadership development. Here is a partial list of other organizations who are also engaged in this work.
- Blueprint for the Future: Recommendations on Leadership for the 21st Century Reports on generational dynamics in the global women’s movement, from the point of view of young women activists. Published by the Third Wave Foundation.
- Help Wanted: New Nonprofit Leaders for the 21st Century Pablo Eisenberg explores need for renewed commitment to leadership development in nonprofit sector.
- Recruiting & Retaining the Next Generation of Nonprofit Sector Leadership A study exploring the “missed connections” among nonprofits, college seniors, & campus offices of career services.
- Up Next: Generation Change and the Leadership of Nonprofit Organizations This monograph, produced in conjunction with the Annie E. Casey Foundation, reports on the combined findings of a generation study by Building Movement Project, and their follow-up sessions with young leaders ages 25–40.
- Young Elected Leaders Project Research identifying elected officials under 35 years old to see how their experiences may encourage other young people to participate in the political process.
Colleagues in Generating Change
- Action Without Borders – Idealist.org Online nonprofit career center and job clearinghouse. Annual nonprofit career fairs in a large number of US cities. Nonprofit “Career Day” workshops and other services for campuses. Annual conferences for student activists and nonprofit human resources professionals, respectively.
- American Humanics National alliance of colleges, universities, and nonprofits whose mission is to educate, prepare, and certify undergraduate students to strengthen and lead nonprofit organizations.
- Annie E. Casey Foundation The Casey Foundation has developed tools for their grantees to manage executive director transitions (as many long-term and founding leaders are retiring now and in the coming years), and the Foundation is exploring other ways to address generational change in the nonprofit sector.
- Building Movement Project Research on social change nonprofit organizations, including generational changes, funding issues, and building movements vs. building organizations.
- Center for Progressive Leadership National political training institute dedicated to building the next generation of progressive political leaders. Through intensive training programs for youth, activists, and candidates, the Center provides individuals with the skills and resources needed to become effective political leaders.
- echoing green Through a two-year fellowship program, provides first-stage funding and support to visionary leaders with bold ideas for social change. As an “angel investor” in the social sector, Echoing Green identifies, funds and supports the world’s most exceptional emerging leaders and the organizations they launch.
- Independent Sector – Emerging Leadership Resource Center Independent Sector’s site lists links to nonprofit sector leadership development programs and organizations; funders; university programs; and research.
- NOA Retirement Pension Plan The National Organizers Alliance developed this portable pension plan, which is designed for progressive community organizers, artists, social service providers, self-incorporated independent consultants, etc.
- New Voices National leadership development program that helps nonprofit organizations to recruit or retain innovative, new talent. It awards salary-support grants to small nonprofits demonstrating a commitment to cultivating and strengthening the leadership potential of creative and diverse “new voices” in the field.
- Public Allies National AmeriCorps network with local affiliates, advances diverse young leaders to strengthen communities, nonprofits and civic participation.
- Young Nonprofit Professional Network Professional development & networking for young nonprofit leaders. Affiliates in Bay Area, New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other cities.
- Young People For New, long-term initiative of People for the American Way that will bring together young leaders and activists from across the nation who are eager to ensure that progressive voices are heard on current issues of concern. The 2005 class of Young People For Fellows is a cohort of 126 progressive leaders and activists from 40 colleges and universities in 8 states.
- Cleveland Foundation Summer Internship Program (podcast with three former interns)
- Can I Live On A Nonprofit Salary? (Blog post , Allison Jones, 2012)
- 2012 Nonprofit Employment Trends Survey (Nonprofit HR Solutions, 2012)
- The Next Generation of Nonprofit Sector Leadership: a study of the (missed) connections among nonprofit organizations, college seniors, and offices of career services. (Shelly Cryer, 2004)
- Emerging Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations: Myths, Meaning and Motivations (American Express, Center for Creative Leadership, 2011)
- Engaging the Nonprofit Workforce: Mission, Management and Emotion (Opportunity Knocks)
- Holding the Fort: Nonprofit Employment During a Decade of Turmoil (Johns Hopkins Nonprofit Economic Data Project, 2012)
- Advancing the Next Generation of LGBT Leaders (Pipeline Project, 2011)
- “Knowledge and Learning” on nonprofit leadership development from Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund
- What Makes for an Effective Nonprofit Leadership Development Program? (Bridgestar)
- Article by Rashad Robinson on his experience as a 21st Century Fellow
- Foundations’ Role in Supporting Non-profit Leadership Development (blog post from Patricia Brandeis, Barr Foundation)
- Creative Disruption (CompassPoint, 2010)
- Sabbatical Programs for Nonprofit Leaders: A How To Guide for Funders (Durfee Foundation, 2010)
- Sabbatical Compendium (The Durfee Foundation, 2007)
- Building Leaderful Organizations: Succession Planning for Nonprofits (Tim Wolfred, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2008)
- Founder Transitions: Creating Good Endings and New Beginnings: A Guide for Executive Directors and Boards (Tom Adams, Annie E. Casey Foundation and Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, 2005)
- Executive Transitions: Grantmakers and Nonprofit Leadership Change (GrantCraft, 2006)
- Capturing the Power of Leadership Change (Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2006)
- An Encore For Nonprofit Leaders: Making the World A Better Place, Continued, by Stephanie Clohesy
- ICF’s Civic Engagement, Volunteerism and Charitable Giving: Americans Retiring in Mexico’s Coastal Communities (International Community Foundation, 2010)
- An Encore for Nonprofit Leaders: Making the world a better place (Civic Ventures, 2010)
- Boomers’ Retirement Income Prospects (Urban Institute, 2012)
- The Departing: Exiting Nonprofit Leaders as Resources for Social Change (Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, 2007)
- Interim Executive Directors: The Power in the Middle (Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2005)