The Heising-Simons Foundation is a family foundation based in Los Altos, California. The Foundation works with its many partners to advance sustainable solutions in climate and clean energy, enable groundbreaking research in science, enhance the education of our youngest learners, and support human rights for all people.
Mark Heising and Liz Simons each grew up with a tradition of giving, learning about the importance of the communities that surrounded them, and of the value of philanthropy. They met at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1979. Liz earned her masters in education from Stanford University, became a Spanish-bilingual teacher, and founded Stretch to Kindergarten, a spring-summer early childhood education program. Mark earned his master’s in electrical engineering and computer sciences from the University of California, Berkeley, became a chip design engineer, and went on to hold six U.S. patents. In 2007, they established the Foundation, and were later joined on the board by their daughter, Caitlin Heising, who graduated from Brown University and works with a nonprofit human rights and strategic philanthropy consultancy.
The Foundation’s board and staff feel incredibly fortunate to work with, and support, great leaders and organizations in vital endeavors.
In 2016, the Foundation awarded more than $54.8 million. Since its first grant in 2007, the Foundation has awarded more than $233 million.
The Finance & Grants Associate provides efficient and pro-active administrative, clerical, grants management, and accounting support to the Foundation, specifically regarding our finance and grants administration operations. This full-time, nonexempt position is based in our Los Altos, CA office. This position reports to the Director of Finance, and works closely with both the Director of Finance and the Grants Management team.
- Manage QuickBooks’ Accounts Payable module by:
- Coding and entering bills
- Printing checks and procuring approvals and check signatures
- Mailing checks, with accompanying paperwork
- Filing supporting documentation
- Enter expense reimbursement requests into QuickBooks
- Interface with our expense reimbursement system to reimburse expenses and import expense reports into QuickBooks
- Prepare monthly credit card reconciliation and payments
- Assist with the bi-weekly payroll process
- Maintain the cash receipts log
- Handle bank deposits
- Track employee benefits, health care costs, flexible spending plan contributions, matching gifts, and contract limits
- Update the fixed asset log and tag new assets
- Assist with bank reconciliations
- Create and maintain electronic and hard-copy accounting files
- Prepare financial analyses, as required
- Assist in the preparation of documents and PowerPoint presentations for the Board and other meetings
- Assist with the annual audit and tax preparations
- Respond in a timely, professional, and courteous manner, to inquiries and requests for information from vendors and staff
- Work with the Director of Finance to improve our accounting processes
Grants Management-related responsibilities:
- Generate grant agreements and review related data
- Oversee the [email protected] mailbox for transmission of grant agreements and related correspondence
- Enter and track Letter of Inquiries and follow up on unsolicited correspondence
- Develop a working knowledge of grants monitoring for legal, financial, and program compliance
- Assist with the administration of the grantmaking platform (Salesforce/FoundationConnect) including proposal entry, coding, merging documents, and running/creating reports for staff
- Oversee routine data integrity reports
- Serve as a member of cross-programmatic teams, including the program associate and grants management (PA/GM) team and the database Core Team
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with a wide range of grantees, organizations, and individuals
- Create and maintain grant files, using the grants database to manage individual grant information
- Provide excellent customer service to grantees regarding their grants’ requirements or status and answer any questions they may have
- Provide data-entry support for data integrity projects
- Compose, proofread, and edit documents with a high level of accuracy
- Work with the grants management team to refine grantmaking processes
- Provide clerical support for the grants management team
- Assist with meeting scheduling and planning, as needed
- Provide backup assistance to the receptionist, as needed, including:
- Answer, screen, and direct incoming telephone calls; greet, announce, and direct visitors
- Maintain appearance of the reception area, conference rooms, and kitchen/lunchroom
- Coordinate logistical details and catering requirements for meetings
- Provide general administrative and clerical support, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience
- 3+ years of administrative experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in QuickBooks, Salesforce, and/or databases, preferred
- Able to plan and prioritize workflow and meet deadlines
- Able to work independently and reliably, take initiative, troubleshoot, and be solution-oriented
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Flexibility and willingness to assist others, as needed
- Able to explain the Foundation’s history, values, and current funding initiatives
- Strong interest in philanthropy or nonprofit organizations
- Sense of teamwork, community, humor, and integrity
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome a diverse pool of applicants and make employment decisions based on merit. Foundation policy prohibits the unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital or caregiver status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, prior record of arrest or conviction, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants with disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise, in writing, any special needs at the time of application.
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and salaries that are commensurate with education and experience.
Please apply here:
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with