Vice President of Development
President and CEO
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community.
Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource. The museum features five exhibit halls and eight science labs offering 219,000 square feet of brain-powered fun through hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations. This multi-attraction complex features a big screen Empirical Theater, the Pacific Northwest's largest planetarium, and a retired U.S. Navy submarine. OMSI also offers a variety programs for all ages, residential camps for outdoor science, as well as one of the largest outreach programs in the nation, taking innovative science and technology experiences "on the road" to students, teachers and communities in five Western states.
OMSI is currently embarking on an ambitious, collaborative 20-Year Vision, to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science, technology, and design, and weave a thriving innovation district into the fabric of Portland that spreads opportunities across the Northwest. The Portland-metro community is actively engaged in creating this plan, which positions OMSI as a leader in realizing larger community goals.
OMSI’s strategic priorities through 2020 include:
- Increasing the museum’s statewide impact
- Reinvesting in the museum to elevate our guests’ (and staff’s) experience
- Planning for future campus development
- Continuing to build partnerships and support to increase contributed revenues
OMSI does not receive public funds for operations (though it does receive Federal grants for exhibition and program development); the generous support the organization obtains through individual, corporate, and foundation giving is critical to its work. Total development revenue (restricted and unrestricted) currently averages $5 to $6 million annually and has been growing year over year. OMSI recently completed a two-year, $10 million capital campaign to build its new Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray, in Newport, OR, and is building on that momentum to fund new strategic priorities. OMSI’s Development team consists of 14 full-time positions, complemented by interns, OMSI trustees, and community volunteers.
The Vice President of Development will join the OMSI team at a pivotal time in the organization’s history. The impact of OMSI’s work has never been more important or more evident. OMSI provides access to engaging science learning experiences for all, regardless of circumstance.
Learn more about OMSI at http://www.omsi.edu!
As a member of the executive leadership team, reporting to OMSI’s President and CEO, the Vice President of Development will help shape and communicate OMSI’s strategic vision internally and externally. The Vice President of Development will bring a business-principled approach, demonstrating a successful track record of astute financial and operational oversight, data-driven decision-making, and delegation. OMSI is a matrix organization and the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to coach and lead a collaborative culture, where information flows freely, where the development of strong relationships and informal networks are supported, and where people are empowered and are encouraged to develop interpersonal and career skills. This position offers a unique opportunity to influence OMSI’s future and impact in the community.
Specifically, the Vice President of Development will:
- Manage all aspects of OMSI’s individual and institutional funding programs, providing an integrated approach to setting and meeting the organization’s multi-year fundraising objectives
- Lead strategic planning for development and prepare implementation plans and budgets to achieve multi-year and annual development goals
- Demonstrate consistent success in selecting highly qualified staff and developing a cohesive team of professionalS
- Demonstrate a collaborative and empowering management approach, balanced by results-oriented accountability
- Determine and oversee the achievement of development efforts of the president, trustees, development committee, staff and volunteers
- Develop and maintain a healthy mix of development activities that engage multiple constituencies; offer opportunities for donors at every giving level to become engaged; provide a clear path for increased involvement and giving over time; and, are effectively measured against routinely evaluated goals
- Work closely with the marketing function to develop and communicate simple, substantive, and inspiring key messages that align with OMSI’s strategic goalS
- Help build, maintain and apply technology and information systems to strengthen OMSI’s professionalism, productivity and profitability
- Actively identify and cultivate new and existing donors
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to support and enhance OMSI’s strategic initiatives and programs
- Effectively and persuasively represent OMSI’s mission, while ensuring a balance between OMSI and donor interests
- Serve as an OMSI representative and public speaker at events as needed
- Maintain awareness of activities of state and local governments affecting the non-profit community, especially in areas related to funding for OMSI
Profile of the Successful Candidate
OMSI seeks a professional who is curious in nature, analytical in approach, diplomatic and strategic in developing and managing relationships, and passionate about the organization’s mission. The successful candidate will have at least seven years of relevant work history demonstrating senior-level leadership and management experience as well as non-profit development, gift planning, financial management, donor relations, and empowering talented teams to do their best work. The successful candidate will be an individual who builds collaborative relationships with the widest variety of people. This professional will be well equipped to define strategy and goals, stewarding effective relationships by employing strong organizational management, communication, implementation, problem-solving, and mentoring skills. Most importantly, the Vice President for Development will be an effective fundraiser with extensive experience at OMSI’s scale and success leading high performance teams that deliver excellent results.
The Vice President of Development will have a proven track record in managing a professional staff and integrating the Development operation fully into the broader organization. The ability to thrive in and nurture a highly collaborative and professional environment within the organization is essential.
The successful candidate will join an energetic, talented team that is passionate about the work and is wholly dedicated to OMSI’s mission. This person will possess the highest level of personal and professional integrity, leadership experience, success in developing strategy, leadership experience in developing professional staff and motivating volunteers, and an authentic heart for the mission.
More specifically, OMSI seeks a professional who reflects the following:
- High energy, with a passion for OMSI’s mission
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long- term relationships
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement multi-year and annual strategic development plans
- Strong organization, project and time management skills
- Strong leadership and coaching skills in a matrix environment; proven team management skills
- Flexible and adaptable work style
- Outstanding relational, interpersonal, and collaboration skills, both internally and externally; a communication style that reflects clarity, authenticity, transparency, and approachability
- Experience in raising funds from a variety of sources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective, engaging facilitation and presentation skills
- A strong work ethic, with high standards of accountability and a bias toward getting things done
- The ability to iterate a strategy and approach, take risks, course-correct, and use humor appropriately, as often as possible, when working with teammates
- A willingness to challenge conventional thinking coupled with the ability to collaborate effectively and encourage dialogue, the successful candidate will likely have:
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge software
We seek to have the successful candidate in place by summer 2016.
This position offers competitive compensation along with excellent benefits.
All applications are held in strict confidence. Please submit your credentials and a letter of interest via email to The 360 Group at: OMSI@the360group.us
Applications should be directed to the attention of Melissa Ulum, Managing Partner of MS&S Search or Vincent Robinson, Managing Partner of The 360 Group. No calls, please. To be considered, The 360 Group or MS&S Search must receive your application no later than 5:00pm Pacific time on Tuesday, May 31, 2015 .
At The 360 Group, we know that a richly diverse mix of professionals makes organizations more effective. As such, we make demographic and experiential diversity a hallmark of all our work, including search engagements.