GEO is a diverse community of more than 500 grantmakers working to reshape the way philanthropy operates. We are committed to advancing smarter grantmaking practices that enable nonprofits to grow stronger and more effective at achieving better results. The GEO community provides grantmakers with the resources and connections to build knowledge and improve practice in areas that are proven to be most critical to nonprofit success. GEO does this by developing conferences and peer learning programs, producing original research for publications and other resources, and providing networking tools to connect members with like-minded peers. For more information visit www.geofunders.org.
GEO seeks an experienced operations/accounting professional to serve as its senior manager of operations in our DC-based office. The senior manager will report to the director of operations, work closely with the management team and have the support of the operations assistant. The senior manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of GEO’s financials including the monthly close process, creating annual and project budgets, and office management responsibilities. This person works with the director of operations on financial reporting to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements including the annual audit. As an organization that promotes organizational effectiveness, we seek someone who will support GEO’s efforts to “walk the talk.” We seek a strategic thinker, adept at identifying opportunities to improve internal operations to further support GEO’s mission. We are looking for someone with superb attention to detail, experience in nonprofit accounting and/or operations, and a commitment to providing excellent customer service, both to external stakeholders and internal staff.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and short writing sample (no more than 4 pages) to email@example.com with the subject line: GEO Senior Manager, Operations. Applications must be received by March 18, 2016. We will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your cover letter please address the following:
- Where did you see you the position posted?
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- How you’ve made an improvement to an accounting or operations process?
- What appeals to you about working at GEO?
If you were working with us, here are some of the things you would have done last week
- Lead the implementation of a new accounts payroll software for the management team
- Worked with GEO’s outside accountant to record end of year receivables
- Reviewed GEO’s end of year financial statements for accuracy so that you could draft a financial dashboard to present to the board of directors
- Worked with GEO’s outsourced IT support to set up new laptops for staff
- Worked with the operations assistant to identify office supply and technology needs for GEO’s new work space
- Worked with a furniture distributor to order furniture for GEO’s new space
- Reviewed accounts payable for accuracy and paid invoices for GEO’s bimonthly check run via Bill.com
- Prepared for GEO’s annual audit by working with the operations assistant and accountant to pull the necessary documents for the auditor’s review
- Attended a staff brownbag to learn more about the conference app for the National
- Conference so that you could help attendees troubleshoot
- Seven to ten years of relevant work experience in nonprofit operations including familiarity with nonprofit accounting
- Experience developing organizational and project budgets
- Demonstrated customer service ethic and mindset
- Superb attention to detail
- Experience troubleshooting basic IT and office equipment issues, including working with cloud-based software
- Ability to forecast future office needs six to twelve months out
- Ability to manage others to get work done
- Previous management experience is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
Salary and Benefits
GEO offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer paid health insurance, three weeks vacation, twelve sick days and a generous employer retirement contribution, along with a Metro accessible location in downtown D.C.
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is an equal opportunity employer. GEO is committed to equal employment opportunities in recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation and disciplinary action with regard to the terms and conditions of employment. GEO does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation or any other legally protected characteristic.