Senior Director, Managed Organizations (Washington, DC)
We seek a dynamic leader to help our clients achieve greater philanthropic impact through a wide range of incubation, collaborative grant-making and fiscal sponsorship projects. The ideal candidate possesses strong client relationship management skills and relevant expertise, and is comfortable working with a variety of nonprofit organizations across multiple issues. We also seek a skilled manager very capable of developing staff. This position will play a significant staff leadership role in our Washington, DC office. The right candidate will embody Arabella’s values, combining entrepreneurial spirit with an eagerness to help our clients accomplish greater good.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
Client Services (~55%)
- Oversee the delivery of excellent client service for a broad portfolio of grant-making, incubation and fiscally sponsored projects, providing both expertise and client relationship management in the areas of donor and grant/contract management,; capacity building; and financial and legal compliance. Help projects problem-solve as they implement.
- Cultivate strong relationships with clients, donors and philanthropic partners; serve as an expert account manager
- Supervise staff on the growing Managed Organizations Washington, DC based team
- Train, mentor, motivate, and develop staff
- Identify hiring and training needs for staff
Organizational Growth (~15%)
- Contribute to the team and organization’s significant year-over-year growth by innovating our systems, operations and processes
- Contribute to the development and management of the line of business’s ongoing strategy, structure, annual objectives and key business performance metrics
- Lead the achievement of important team objectives
- Develop and share relevant and valuable expertise
Marketing and Business Development (~15%)
- Work closely with the Managing Directors and team leadership to inform and support business development
- Maintain familiarity with ongoing research in areas of responsibility and share with team and clients
- Contribute to thought-leadership
- Represent the firm at conferences and events
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in relevant field (business, public policy, etc.) or similar level of experience
- Management and supervisory experience
- At least 10 years of work experience with steadily increasing job responsibility
- Extensive knowledge of the philanthropy and/or nonprofit sectors
- Experience working in philanthropy, nonprofit management, business and/or consulting
- Excellent communication skills, including writing skills and demonstrated ability to structure large amounts of information in a written document that is clear and easy to understand
- Ability to manage and lead a complex project, to oversee and delegate to others on the team, and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Desire to work in a growing office
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Detail oriented
- Exceptional leader
- Sense of humor
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address: 1) your client management experience and philosophy; 2) your supervisory experience; and 3) how this job fits with your career path. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.
Please submit your application here: http://www.arabellaadvisors.com/careers/open-position/?gnk=job&gni=8a7886f853b719780153c43117ca28e0&gns=Emerging%20Practitioners%20in%20Philanthropy
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
Do you like this post?