San Francisco General Hospital Foundation is a dynamic, growing nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting research, education and care for all at San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (The General).
Nearly 100,000 patients are treated at The General annually. A comprehensive medical center, The General provides quality health care with compassion and respect to patients that include some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable. The General is the only provider of trauma (Level 1) and 24-hour psychiatric emergency services for 1.5 million people in San Francisco and northern San Mateo counties. In addition, The General is one of the nation’s top tertiary academic medical centers conducting clinical training and research. For more information about the Foundation and The General, please visit: sfghf.org.
Position Overview This position is the perfect opportunity for a mission-driven fundraiser who is passionate about public health and making a difference for hospital staff, patients, and their families. A major focus of the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts, will be to partner with Foundation and hospital leadership and collaborate with a variety of hospital program managers to create opportunities that will deepen the commitment of current and prospective donors and their understanding of the hospital’s mission. This individual will be responsible for identifying, qualifying, soliciting, cultivating, and stewarding donors who have the capacity to make gifts of $25,000 and more annually.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for managing the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities of the Heart Circle of donors, which focuses on gifts of $1,000 or more in collaboration with the Development Officer, Annual Giving. As a member of the team working to cultivate the broad pipeline of individual donors to the Foundation, this position will work closely with the Vice President, Development, CEO, and Board to convert significant annual fund donors into major donors, as well as with the Development Officer, Annual Giving, to develop and implement strategies that start with donors giving under $1,000. Finally, this position will also work with the Development Officer, Corporate and Foundation Relations. Reports to: Vice President, Development
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
● Develop and grow a major gifts program that deepens and expands the existing donor base
● Personally manage a pool of 75-100 major gift donors and prospects at the $25,000 and above level
● Maintain active schedule of face-to-face meetings with major donors and prospects to discuss philanthropic desires, helping to strategize how their giving can positively impact the hospital
● Develop and execute major gift fundraising plan to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors capable of giving five, six and seven-figure gifts
● Identify, qualify, and segment appropriate prospects for significant annual fund unrestricted and restricted giving on a yearly basis
● Write proposals, gift agreements and reports to individual donors and family foundations to provide updates on the impact of their gift and solicit additional support
● In close collaboration with Development Officer, Annual Giving, manage the Foundation’s Heart Circle of donors giving $1,000 or more annually. Develop and oversee implementation of donor recognition and benefits; identify lower level donors with the potential to join the Heart Circle; and develop creative strategies to renew and upgrade current Heart Circle donors
● Maintain accurate and complete records of donor contacts and communications in donor database (Raiser’s Edge)
● With the Vice President, Development, develop and monitor Major Gift program budget and make projections of revenue on an annual and longer term basis
● Assign and manage portfolios with Board members who will be closely involved with donor solicitations and strategy
● Work with Board members to identify new prospects and develop strategies for cultivation and stewardship
● With the Vice President, Development, provide staffing support for the newly expanded Board development and marketing committee
● Meet regularly with hospital staff (physicians, nurses, hospital leadership and others) to discuss funding needs, develop donor strategies, and follow up with them to ensure gifts are being spent according to donor wishes
● Support, train and coach hospital and Board leadership in effective donor communications, engagement, and stewardship techniques
● Write high-level briefing documents to prepare Foundation and hospital leadership for meetings, tours and donor visits
● Plan, attend and implement cultivation and stewardship events with Marketing and Events team, including: donor receptions, hospital tours, and donor site visits with executive leadership, physicians and staff
● Manage outside consultants
Other duties as necessary and assigned
Secondarily,the successful candidate will develop and execute a comprehensive planned giving programwithin the hospital community and philanthropic community-at-large as an essential part of a comprehensive major gifts program.
● 7-10 years successive experience in annual, major, and planned gifts, preferably with significant experience managing volunteer solicitors and working with an active board
● Proven track record of soliciting and closing five, six and seven figure gifts, including planned gifts
● Experience developing and implementing a successful major gift and planned giving program
● Knowledge of the various vehicles for making planned gifts
● Outstanding interpersonal skills; high level of comfort and enjoyment with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances
● Ability to work closely and confidently with Board members and physician medical staff
● A high level of comfort providing coaching and expertise on working with individual donors and prospects
● An appreciation for data and using data as a tool for managing donor cultivation, moves, solicitation, and stewardship efforts
● Experience developing, assigning, and updating portfolios to ensure effective portfolio management
● Curiosity and ability to track and analyze donor activity to ensure timely solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship
● Track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals from individuals
● Experience planning small donor events, tours, and other cultivation and stewardship activities
● Exceptional interpersonal, presentation and speaking skills, coupled with a great sense of humor
● Bachelor’s degree
● Valid California driver’s license (position involves local travel)
● Experience with Raiser’s Edge (strongly preferred)
● An interest in public health and the mission of San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center
● A believer in donor-centered philanthropy and team collaboration
● A visionary thinker who can execute well on details and manage competing priorities
● Fundraising experience in a health care or academic setting
● Familiarity and deep knowledge of the San Francisco philanthropic community
● Diplomatic self-starter with the ability to adapt in a fast-moving environment with many passionate and involved stakeholders
Compensation & Application Information
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation offers a competitive compensation package based upon experience, and benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance as well as professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement plan, commuter discounts, and vacation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to SFGHF@schaffercombs.com with your first and last name, the position title, and “SFGHF” in the subject line. Please do not contact the Foundation directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer & Combs. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.