Schaffer&Combs solves problems and creates growth solutions for missiondriven organizations that possess the vision and ambition to make genuine change. We are a management consultancy that works fluidly at the intersection of the forprofit and nonprofit sectors and excels at both planning and implementation. Our clients are nonprofit organizations, forprofit companies, philanthropies, foundations, and social entrepreneurs, based locally in the Bay Area and globally across four continents. Some of our key services include: strategic planning, impact assessment and management, executive search, board development, leadership coaching, fundraising services, and investment and philanthropic capital support.
As a Schaffer&Combs Fellow, your time will be split between clientfacing projects and working with the S&C Operations Team to help the firm improve its internal processes. Working as a member of a project team, you will support project management and perform datadriven analysis to develop insightful recommendations and draft and refine clientfacing deliverables. Fellows take on significant responsibility in project teams and have the opportunity to attend and contribute to clientfacing meetings. Having direct contact with the client is a highlight and key growth opportunity for fellows. Equally as crucial as part of a highgrowth startup is fellows’ assistance with internal initiatives, including: drafting proposals, supporting business development efforts, and helping with office administration.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume as two separate PDFs saved as your first initial, last name, document title, and “fellow” (e.g. “MWalls_resume_Fellow”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also place your first initial and last name, followed by the position title, in the subject line of your email.
Scope of Fellowship:
Client Support (50-70%)
● Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis
● Gather data through interviews and secondary research
● Generate creative, actionoriented insights and recommendations
● Support joint problemsolving with clients
● Draft highimpact presentations and plans
● Assist with project management including scheduling, followup, and meeting preparation
● Prepare for and participate in client calls/meetings, stakeholder interviews, etc.
Operations & Internal Activities (30-50%)
● Work with the S&C Operations Team to increase efficiency of functions and processes at Schaffer&Combs
● Assist with ongoing internal initiatives and firmwide meetings, including: scheduling, taking minutes, physical and digital filing
● Assist with the invoicing process and bank deposits
● Business development work, including: assisting the management team with prospect researching, scheduling of meetings, and tracking of outgoing communication to client prospects
● Support in the management of S&C social media and external communications
● Contribute to development of S&C through personal skills and interests i.e. communications, graphics, systems development, etc.
● Professional experience in a role requiring analytical problem solving
● Solutionsoriented problem solver with a startup mentality and ability to shift between liaising with clients to managing internal initiatives while maintaining excellence across all responsibilities
● Passion for the social sector and commitment to working on challenging problems
● Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Google Drive products
● Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, oral, and written communication
● Strong organizational, project and time management skills with demonstrated attention to detail
● Selfstarter who is comfortable in a closeknit teamoriented setting
● Accountable, detailoriented, team player who displays transparency, professionalism, and humility
● Work directly with all S&C team members, which include various levels of experience, backgrounds, and roles
● Opportunity to pursue projects and clients that are of particular interest to each fellow
● Exposure to a broad variety of social change sectors, models, entities, and leaders
● Professional development workshops led by Managing Partners, Directors and Associates
● Flexible work schedule with office hours at the Impact Hub coworking space at 5th and Mission in downtown San Francisco
● Access to future fulltime opportunities with Schaffer&Combs or its clients
● Free Equator coffee and Numi tea
Compensation: 25 hours per week (with potential for more), paid fellowship
● Application deadline: October 30
● Tentative start date: midNovember
● Duration of fellowship: 3 months
● Please have your own laptop to use for the duration of the fellowship