Blue Shield of California Foundation (BSCF) is one of the largest healthcare grant-making organizations in California with a mission of improving the lives of Californians, particularly the underserved, by making health care accessible, effective, and affordable, and by ending domestic violence. In 2012, the Foundation awarded more than $30 million in grants to nonprofit organizations, in addition to conducting strategic research and public education efforts. For more information, please visit www.blueshieldcafoundation.org. Blue Shield of California Foundation was formed by Blue Shield of California, not-for-profit Corporation with more than 3.3 million members and 5,000 employees. For more information about the company, please visit www.blueshieldca.com. With the Foundation poised to make a significant impact on California’s healthcare environment and community in the coming years, the successful candidate will join the Foundation team at an exciting time. The Senior Administrative Assistant will work as an integral part of the Foundation team.
The Public Affairs Associate is responsible for effectively communicating the impact of the Foundation’s activities across California, under the supervision of the Director of Communications and Public Affairs. Working closely with program staff, key grantees and the organization’s external consultants, the Public Affairs Associate will help identify and communicate the impact and lessons learned from the Foundation’s grantmaking and programmatic activities.
This position will use both traditional communications methods and social media channels to disseminate information about the work of the Foundation to its key audiences including: media, policymakers, grantees, and other allies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and Data Content:
- Create and/or manage creation of communications in a variety of mediums (written, graphic, video);
- Collect, translate, and share communications of grantee organizations to expand the reach of their efforts
- Copyedit and review written products to ensure accuracy and fit to strategy and brand
- Distill and synthesize information to communicate complex ideas clearly;
- Use data and statistics to demonstrate the impact of the Foundation and its grantees
- Collect data on communications products to evaluate and adapt tactics
- Identify and pursue story opportunities that advance priority goals
- Assist in the development, review, and monitoring of media grants
- Develop and manage social/digital media strategy across multiple channels. Engage program/executive staff to execute.
- Manage editorial calendar and develop timelines for delivering content to target audiences
- Maintain and provide consultation on style guide and brand guidelines
- Perform administrative tasks including event management, data entry, and reporting, as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional writing skills and attention to detail
- Proven record with social media platforms and email marketing
- Experience with content management systems (Drupal) and/or basic HTML
- Proficiency with social media and Google analytic tools
- Comfort with basic graphic design, video production, and photography
- Strong project manager and demonstrated ability to manage priorities
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and independence; a high degree of initiative; productive and results-oriented
- Works effectively and sensitively with culturally diverse and broad-based communities
- Understanding of health policy landscape in California
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of related work experience.
- Strongly prefer five years of related experience in communications, journalism, or health policy, or an advanced degree
- Willingness to travel, primarily within California
- Demonstrated interest in and enthusiasm for the mission of BSCF