Founded in 1956, S. H. Cowell Foundation is a private philanthropy with offices in downtown San Francisco. Cowell makes grants to non-profit organizations and public schools in high-poverty communities throughout northern and central California. Our approach to grant-making is place-based, responsive and hands-on. We view the organizations and communities we fund as partners, and we work hard to develop mutual respect and trust.
Cowell seeks a full-time Program Officer to join our grants program team. The team is small and highly collaborative. The Program Officer will lead the grants program in Youth Development. Grants in Youth Development primarily support youth after school and in the summer to explore their interests and aspirations, develop leadership, gain confidence and resilience, and solidify commitments to life-long learning and civic engagement. Youth Development is one of four program areas comprising our place-based, complementary grants program. The others are Families and Communities, Education, and Leadership Development.
- Inviting proposals, performing due diligence, and writing grant recommendations;
- Managing a program area and budget;
- Supporting applicants with proposal development, including objective-setting;
- Participating in team site visits to communities where the Foundation is considering, or actively making, place-based grants;
- Contributing thought leadership in the Youth Development program area, and with regard to grant-making strategy and philanthropic practice.
- Advanced degree with emphasis in social services or humanities;
- Minimum five years recent experience relevant to the Youth Development program area, in the non-profit or public sectors or in philanthropy;
- Experience working with diverse communities and cultures;
- Excellent communication skills: written, interpersonal, oral and presentation;
- Alignment with the mission and values of the Foundation, including an orientation to leadership through service.
The starting annual salary is $75,000 - $85,000, commensurate with education and experience. In addition, Cowell offers excellent benefits.
This exempt, full-time position is located in San Francisco, California. Cowell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on federal, state and local laws.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by the end of business on April 15, 2016. Refer to the job title in the subject line of the email. Please, no phone inquiries.