Company Name: The Durfee Foundation
Date Posted: Apr 06, 2015
Job Type: Part-time
The position of Program & External Relations Assistant at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to a candidate who wishes to gain practical experience in the nonprofit sector as part of a platform for future studies and/or work in the nonprofit arena. The job will provide the candidate a bird’s-eye view of the sector in Los Angeles, exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of leaders, and intensive training in nonprofit management – from clerical and bookkeeping functions to events production. The job should be approached with an expectation of a two to three year engagement with the Foundation.
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership.
The position of Program & External Relations Assistant reports to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate for this entry-level position should be gracious, self-motivated, detail-oriented and technologically proficient with interest in developing a career in the nonprofit, public or social benefit sector.
The position is part-time, four days/32 hours per week, allowing the candidate to pursue other career development activities on the off-day. The job comes with excellent benefits, and potential for growth into more programmatic responsibility.
• Administrative support for all program activities
• Assist with office management, i.e., sorting the mail, directing phone calls.
• Event production in collaboration with other staff
• Grant Selection Panel book presentation
• Application handling and declines
• Grant Selection Panel site visit & interview coordination
• Website content maintenance & development
• Work with designer on fliers, postcards, etc
• Outreach to grant applicants
• Content support for convenings
• Vendors & Services
• Point person for LEAD, BayTree & board logisitics
• Attend board meetings
• Strong computer skills in Macintosh platform/OS X, Microsoft Word, Excel, Filemaker Pro, Quickbooks, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat
• Internet capabilities- web design or willingness to learn, familiarity with Dreamweaver, WordPress, online application systems
• Good written and oral communications
• Strong organizational skills
• Customer service orientation, including excellent telephone demeanor
• Good judgment, diplomacy in dealing with a variety of people and circumstances
• Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
• Ability to work both independently and as a team, and to follow instructions with minimum supervision
• Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
• Flexibility, adaptability
• Passionate about Los Angeles and the social sector
• College degree and/or comparable work experience
• General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
• Graphic design skills a plus
$30,000 - $32,000 for four days/32 hours per week, plus full benefits
Start Date: May/June 2015
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why?
What do you love about Los Angeles?
Please no phone calls