Who We Are
Root Cause is a pragmatic partner to nonprofits, foundations, and governments. Our passion: generating higher performance for mission-driven organizations. For over a decade, Root Cause has pioneered an efficient, evidence-driven approach to strategic business planning, financial sustainability, performance measurement, and assessments. We work across the social sector, with particular expertise in education, employment, and health. Our consultants partner with funders and nonprofit leaders to solve their most complex organizational and programmatic challenges, and implement what’s needed to turn strategies into action. Together, we improve outcomes, grantmaking, and most importantly, people’s lives—faster, better, smarter, at greater scale.
Over 200 nonprofit organizations, foundations, and governments have partnered with Root Cause to clarify what matters, target their actions, and see stronger results. The Root Cause team is known for taking an approach that is collaborative, pragmatic, and implementation-focused, leveraging a team-based model that gives clients the expertise and conceptual skillsets typically found in management consulting firms in the context of seasoned, hands-on nonprofit and business experience. For more information, please visit: http://www.rootcause.org.
Root Cause is seeking a full-time Program Coordinator for one of its partnership initiatives — The Campaign for Black Male Achievement — a national membership network launched by the Open Society Foundations along with support from The California Endowment, The Heinz Endowments, Knight Foundation, Kapor Center for Social Impact, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, The Skillman Foundation, Carnegie Corporation of New York, Casey Family Programs, and The Chicago Community Trust. To learn more about the Campaign for Black Male Achievement (CBMA), please visit: http://blackmaleachievement.org.
THE ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Social Innovation Accelerator is a key strategy of the CBMA to showcase and spread what works in the field of Black male achievement. By selecting and supporting a cohort of innovators working to improve the life outcomes of Black men and boys, the Accelerator provides a unique opportunity for organizations with demonstrable outcomes to receive one-on-one consulting to articulate their goals, strengthen their communications for fundraising and sustainability, and have opportunities to be showcased to funders.
As the Program Coordinator, you are the project manager, supporting the implementation of the Accelerator strategy and providing research and data analysis support. We are looking for a motivated, detail-oriented, and personable team member who can fulfill the following responsibilities:
Program Management, Coordination, and Logistics
- Co-ordinate day-to-day logistics and operations, including all external and internal communications, meetings, and events
- With the support of senior team members, manage the Accelerator work plan and implement different phases of Accelerator strategy (from launching an application cycle to organizing a funder showcase)
- Support general communications and outreach
- Coordinate and assist with managing external relationships (e.g., with members, partners, and funders, etc.)
Research and Data Analysis Support
- Support research and data analysis – including the collection and analysis of data from a variety of databases and primary and secondary research sources
- Conduct primary and secondary research, engage in rigorous quantitative and qualitative analyses, synthesize findings, and develop strategic insights to move projects forward
- Assist with drafting, editing, and formatting internal and external materials – including memos, PowerPoint presentations, reports, website content, etc.
- Support the development, maintenance, and update of the Accelerator’s technology platform
- Gather budget, data, and any other information needed for funding reports and proposals
- Provide as-needed support to assist with overall CBMA execution
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
At Root Cause, we come to work to move the needle on issues that matter. You will be a thought partner to social sector leaders and work together with internal and external team members to develop analysis and tools to accelerate the performance of high-impact organizations.
Root Cause entrusts program coordinators with a high level of responsibility for – and helps them hone their skills in – project management, research, qualitative and quantitative analysis, development of client deliverables, meeting facilitation, and public speaking. Program coordinators also have internal leadership opportunities at the firm, including participation on Equity Committee, Culture Committee, and service improvement working groups.
Root Cause is made up of passionate, smart, and collaborative employees who come from a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Our work culture is collegial, entrepreneurial, and flexible.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of professional work experience
- Candidates of any race, gender, sexual orientation or religion are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated commitment to and/or work experience in the nonprofit sector (volunteer or paid)
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks, and attention to detail
- Strong research, analytical, writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to connect daily tasks with overall strategy/direction of the Campaign (strong strategic thinker)
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and manage relationships at different levels
- Interest in working with, and mentoring, an intern
- Willingness to engage with, and learn about, cultural competency and equity-related issues
- Ability to take initiative and operate with limited oversight/direction
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), including experience using Excel for data analysis and/or financial modeling
- Experience with Salesforce, WordPress, Vertical Response, and online survey tools (e.g., SurveyGizmo and Survey Monkey) are a plus
Submit your cover letter and resume via our online application: ONLINE APPLICATION FOR WORKING AT ROOT CAUSE