The Schott Foundation for Public Education’s mission is to develop and strengthen a broad-based and representative movement to achieve fully resourced, quality preK-12 public education, giving every child an opportunity to learn. The Schott Foundation is a national leader in social justice philanthropy and public education advocacy. Schott strategically resources advocacy campaigns to provide students with an opportunity to learn by providing a hybrid of philanthropic supports, network building supports, communications supports, and policy advocacy supports. Schott makes it possible for communities across the country to address the race and income-based “opportunity gaps” that underlie achievement gaps – ultimately helping thousands of students, district-by-district and state-by-state. In helping to strengthen this movement, Schott recognizes its pivotal role as both funder and advocate in the social justice arena.
The Program Associate works as part of a team of program staff who are implementing a national strategy to advance an opportunity to learn for all children. The Program Associate holds a variety of responsibilities related to the research, analysis, and coordination of programmatic activities, with a primary focus on the coordinating the systems required to implement the team’s strategy. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs and Advocacy, the Program Associate will coordinate the programmatic and operational requirements of the team to meet the foundation’s goals. The scope of work includes activities related to program development and implementation, grants management, learning, collaboration, communications, internal systems, and philanthropic practice. The Program Associate evaluates grant proposals, conducts background research, and prepares proposals for funding.
The individual who fills this role should be committed to the foundation’s social justice mission, a strong team player, detail-oriented, flexible, and willing to take on new projects and responsibilities as needed. The ideal candidate will have great interest in the philanthropic sector as an agent for social change. The Program Associate will also be interested in the role that communications, learning, and knowledge management play in advancing the foundation’s impact. The Program Associate will be a skilled project manager with the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, proactively gather information, draw conclusions, and make recommendations regarding complex problems and issues. The Program Associate will be an excellent communicator – interpersonally and in writing — and will have experience with traditional forms and social media. The candidate should place a high value on building relationships and collaborating with colleagues, grantees and other partners.
New York, NY
The successful candidate is a confident, analytical, and agile problem solver with the ability to handle several program management tasks simultaneously. The successful candidate also has a demonstrated educational background and/or professional interest in at least one or more areas of the foundation, including education policy, social and racial justice, organizing, or philanthropy.
The Program Associate will also have opportunities to engage in substantive programmatic and grantmaking support to the Vice President through the following: review and response to letters of inquiry submitted by grant seekers; completing due diligence tasks for potential grants; and monitor the progress of existing grantees. The Program Associate helps to ensure strong connections with Schott’s other programs, departments, foundation-wide initiatives, and outside partners. The position also provides occasional opportunities for travel to attend site visits and various conferences.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of grants management, including grant inquiries, grant proposal, existing grants, and grantee reporting.
- Draft grant proposal summaries and other documents for grant approval meetings and board meetings as needed in partnership with the Director and the Vice President of Programs and Advocacy.
- Assess and address the needs of grantees for technical assistance.
- Support the development and coordination of technical assistance webinars and conference sessions.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Schott Foundation’s team strategy and work plan.
- Conduct research in new or emerging issue areas of the foundation to inform the foundation’s resourcing strategy.
- Represent the foundation at events and meetings.
- Collaborate with the fundraising team on special initiatives and cross-programmatic events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in supporting a fast-paced team, including developing shared plans and coordinating external and internal communications.
- Excellent analytic, writing, and project planning skills. Advanced communication skills needed in writing and social media.
- Strong proficiency with research, data collection, review, analysis, documentation and reporting applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and databases.
- Ability to manage multiple, often-conflicting deadlines; establish and negotiate timelines; and ensure timely delivery of high-quality work.
- Attention to detail and accuracy; personal initiative; reliability, flexibility, and follow-up.
- Creativity, flexibility, sound judgment, and ability to take initiative and work independently as well as a part of a team.
- Effective interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse staff, grantees, and consultants across varied geographies. A team player who can add value to the Schott team beyond his/her area of expertise.
- Outstanding organizational and project management experience, including the ability to move work from concept to implementation and completion.
- A strong sense of passion, purpose, and sense of humor.
- Experience with grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, and/or philanthropy a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; 3-5 years of professional experience preferred.
The Schott Foundation for Public Education offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume with “Program Associate” in the subject line to email@example.com.
The Schott Foundation for Public Education is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and multicultural workplace.