For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives Department is seeking a full-time staff person in New York City to support the work of the director, ensure the smooth operation of a multi-person department, and coordinate the work between and among different units and parts of a nationwide organization.This position reports to the Department Director.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage the Director’s travel itinerary, which includes frequent, extensive and regular trips to offices throughout the country.
- Compile relevant affiliate organizational information and assist department director with preparing necessary documents and presentations when travelling.
- Develop and maintain procedures and systems which ensure productive and efficient office operations.
- Prepare general documents; draft and edit internal and external correspondence;
- Assist in planning all departmental Meetings, including arrangements for meals, travel and other logistics.
- Train and supervise the Administrative Assistant.
- Process all expense reports and reimbursements on behalf of the department director and keep detailed records.
- Assist Department director with basic technology needs for daily meetings – i.e. video conference calls and presentations.
- Serve as liaison between the Department and the ACLU Operations and IT Departments in order to manage office space and technology including on-boarding, office relocations, troubleshooting, repairs and maintenance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office. A personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Consistent adherence to confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years related experience required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, professional telephone manner and attention to detail.
- Mastery of office software designed to manage travel, expense reporting and budgeting.
- Must demonstrate strong decision-making and ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work both independently as well as within a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other Windows applications.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to: hrjobsASD@aclu.org. Reference [ASD-53/ACLU-W] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”