JOB ANNOUNCEMENT - POLICY ASSOCIATEPosition Accountability Counsel is seeking an experienced professional to join us as a full-time Policy Associate to be based in Washington, D.C. The Policy Associate supports the Policy Director in developing and implementing Accountability Counsel’s Policy Advocacy program strategies, which focus on strengthening non-judicial accountability offices that are tied to international finance and development and creating them where they do not yet exist. The position reports to Accountability Counsel’s Policy Director.
About Accountability CounselAccountability Counsel amplifies the voices of communities around the world to protect their human rights and environment. As advocates for people harmed by internationally-financed projects, we employ community driven and policy level strategies to access justice. We specialize in non-judicial accountability offices (or “complaint offices”) established to receive community grievances. We accomplish our mission through: (1) policy advocacy, ensuring that these accountability offices are accessible, transparent, and fair tools for justice, (2) case support, assisting communities to use these accountability offices effectively, and (3) our resources program that provides concrete tools for our own staff, civil society colleagues, and the people who make up the movement for accountability more broadly. We work closely with civil society partners and community members to help voice their complaints. Our work pays particular attention to women, girls, and other marginalized groups, who are often the most deeply harmed by abuses. Founded in 2009, Accountability Counsel is a small but growing non-profit organization with headquarters in San Francisco, a Washington DC office, and a presence in South Asia.
ResponsibilitiesThe Policy Associate is responsible for:
- A. Policy Advocacy (80%)
- Work closely with Accountability Counsel’s Policy Director on the design and implementation of Accountability Counsel’s Policy Advocacy strategies based on the program goals of increased independence, fairness, transparency, professionalism, accessibility, and effectiveness at accountability offices and their creation.1
- Serve as a key policy contact to implement the Policy Advocacy program strategies under the guidance of the Policy Director. Main responsibilities will include:
- Policy Reviews to ensure that formal and informal opportunities for review of accountability policies reflect best practice and lessons from specific cases. Policy review advocacy will require coalition building, research, and relationship building.
- Case-specific advocacy;
- Attend meetings and conferences, both domestic and international, to further the Policy Advocacy program goals;
- Participate in key partnerships as they relate to implementation of the Policy Advocacy program strategies.
- B. Other (20%)
QualificationsThe Policy Associate must have the following qualifications:
- advanced degree in law, international relations/economics, public policy, or other relevant field;
- at least 3 years of professional work experience in a related field;
- fluent English language skills;
- excellent written, verbal, analytical, and organizational skills with demonstrated attention to detail;
- positive attitude and superior interpersonal skills;
- ability to work independently and to supervise others;
- demonstrated ability to work within tight deadlines, set priorities, and produce under pressure;
- willingness to travel both domestically and internationally;
- experience related to corporate accountability, international financial institutions, and/or human and environmental rights accountability;
- passion for learning about and implementing Accountability Counsel’s mission; and
- a commitment to working with a small but highly committed team of professionals toward shared goals.
- knowledge of the workings of international financial institution accountability offices and/or OECD National Contact Points;
- established professional network in the field of international finance and development;
- experience living and/or working in developing countries; and
- fluency in languages in addition to English (in particular, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, and/or Portuguese).
Compensation and Benefits
Accountability Counsel offers competitive compensation and benefits packages commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter stating your qualifications to email@example.com with the subject line: POLICY ASSOCIATE.
Revised: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the position to be filled as soon as possible. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted regarding next steps in the application process.
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Accountability Counsel is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other prohibited category. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.