Multimedia Manager (Philanthropy New York)
Philanthropy New York, the “regional association of grantmakers with global impact,” is the principal professional community of approximately 285 private, corporate, family and public grantmaking organizations based in the New York City region, and provides a broad range of services to over 3,500 individual philanthropic professionals and trustees of those organizations. Taken together, PNY’s members provide support totaling over $7 billion each year to thousands of nonprofit organizations located in New York and around the world, which in turn focus on an almost endless range of issues and concerns.
In 2014, PNY launched a new organizational website and a branded news site – the New York PhilanthroPost – that dramatically improved our ability to serve as an information broker for the region’s philanthropic sector and a disseminator of philanthropic, nonprofit and governmental news. The Drupal-based site is integrated with a Salesforce CRM system, all jointly managed by PNY’s Communications and the Membership departments. The new site successfully consolidated PNY’s various information streams – multiple e-newsletters, blogs and Twitter streams – under a consistent, unified branding. Since the New York PhilanthroPost’s launch in June 2014, we have seen a strong and steady increase in the number of subscribers and online followers and are marketing the site to continue this growth. In addition to general philanthropic and nonprofit news, the site aggregates news on 15 topics of interest to our members, ranging from education to climate change.
PNY is seeking to hire a creative and innovative multimedia manager/online editor to lead day-to-day operations of the news site and all other associated media development.
The Multimedia Manager/Managing Editor will provide vision and leadership in guiding existing media efforts and building new communications capabilities for the organization across multiple platforms. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the SVP, Public Policy & Communications.
The Multimedia Manager/Managing Editor will:
- Function as the primary editor for the news site – developing new content, working in partnership with Member Services department to solicit original content from leaders in the philanthropic community and identifying content to be aggregated (posting on average 15-20 pieces each business day) on the site
- Solicit and edit 60-100 editorial pieces each year (posting one to two original pieces each week, usually written by PNY members)
- Formulate and lead new initiatives to build Philanthropy New York’s connectivity and collaboration across audiences, platforms and sectors
- Work with the SVP of Public Policy & Communications to develop and execute marketing strategies for the news site
- Manage and extend the reach of PNY’s multiple social media streams, focusing especially on growing our community on Twitter and creating a whole new audience for @NYPhilPost
- Maintain and improve our system for identifying and aggregating appropriate news from across the region to appear on the news site
- Communicate and work with the newly established Editorial Board of the New York PhilanthroPost.
- Act as managing producer for PNY programs that are made available to audiences through a live-feed broadcast
- Produce brief monthly reports on site analytics and produce recommendations on increasing site traffic
- Assemble daily, weekly and bi-monthly e-newsletter versions of our news
- Manage PNY’s mass communications, including regular e-newsletters and occasional targeted emails to affinity groups
- Manage external relationships with communications vendors such as graphic designers, photographers, videographers, etc.
- Participate in other special projects, as appropriate
The ideal candidate will be:
- A strategic, analytic thinker
- A diplomatic communicator who is comfortable working with diverse constituencies
- A service-oriented professional
- A self-starter who values a collaborative team environment
- A strong project manager with excellent organizational skills and the flexibility to manage shifting priorities
- Motivated by the desire to contribute knowledge and learning to the philanthropic sector
- Three-plus years of substantial experience in strategic communications, online media management, multi-platform integration and editing
- Experience leading the development of online content and managing a dynamic, content rich website. Experience developing a news site, online magazine, news aggregation site or similar multi-media platform is a big plus
- Demonstrated experience in developing creative approaches to meet organizational objectives and the ability to diligently execute those approaches
- Ability to analyze information and discern key issues of interest to PNY’s audiences, and communicate clearly and concisely. This includes experience producing website analytics and using those analytics to create new strategies to engage audiences
- Basic knowledge of nonprofit and/or philanthropic issues in New York a plus
- Four-year college degree.
- Knowledge of AP Style (or willingness to learn quickly) and excellent writing skills
- Experience working with Drupal, Salesforce and/or MailChimp a plus
- Basic video editing and visual design skills are helpful to the role
- Experience with live-streaming video a plus
How to Apply:
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, addressed to:
Subject line: Multimedia Manager/Managing Editor
Michael Hamill Remaley
Senior Vice President, Public Policy & Communications
Philanthropy New York
1500 Broadway, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled.