Membership and Operations Associate
Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy
New York, NY
Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP) is a national network of foundation professionals and other change makers who strive for excellence in the practice of philanthropy. EPIP is a growing network of 900+ individuals and nearly 50 institutions nationwide. We support 12 volunteer-led chapters across the country. Through our flagship national conference, local and national events, webinars and other programs, we provide a platform for our community to connect with others, learn and practice leadership skills, and inspire emerging ideas in the social sector.
The Membership and Operations Associate will support sponsor and member relationship maintenance, coordinate membership intake, handle various administrative and financial matters, respond to volunteer inquiries and provide ongoing volunteer support, manage vendor relationships and vendor contracts, and perform other tasks important to EPIP's operations and program development. The ideal candidate should have highly developed interpersonal and diplomatic skills, an ability to build and manage relationships with many diverse stakeholders, and strong writing skills. A commitment to social justice and alignment with the mission of EPIP is also expected. Financial management experience or interest a plus.
This is a temporary, part-time position (15-20 hours per week) from late July to December 31,2015. This position is based in our New York City office and the employee will be expected to complete his/her work on site. This job cannot be done virtually. While this position is temporary, there is large opportunity for growth and long-term placement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities and Responsibilities
- Manage individual and institutional member relationships (including intake and ongoing status maintenance)
- Serve as the point person for relationship with EPIP fiscal sponsor, the Tides Center
- Manage EPIP's main operations functions
- Process accounts payable and receivable
- Support and manage vendor relationships and contracts
- Support EPIP Chapter Leaders by responding to inquiries, managing chapter finances, improving chapter leader systems, and providing day-to-day operational support
- Support development EPIP programs, such as EPIP National webinars and EPIP National Conference
- Maintain and expand the value of individual and institutional membership in EPIP
Education and/or Experience
- College degree preferred
- 2 years experience in member/program services, working with nonprofit professionals, and/or philanthropic foundations is preferred but not required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly developed interpersonal and diplomatic skills needed for building and managing relationships with many diverse stakeholders via email, phone, in-person meetings, and other venues
- Well-developed writing and communications skills
- Basic understanding of financial management
- Skilled in building and managing relationships with many diverse stakeholders via email, phone, in-person meetings, and other venues
- Understanding of trends, issues and players in the philanthropic community
- Agility in managing partnerships with vendors, contractors and partner organizations
- Ability to work in teams, independently and virtually.
- Strong alignment with EPIP’s vision, mission and principles
- Detail-oriented, organized and self-motivated
- Experience in program development and program leadership
- Fearless attitude, willing to make asks and have difficult conversations
Equal Employment Opportunity
Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP) is a project of the Tides Center. The Tides Center is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, an bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS related conditions.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT EPIP AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “M&O Associate – Last Name, First Name.” No phone calls please!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a firm deadline of July 15, 2015.