This May, EPIP is highlighting the Measuring a Leader Decision-making skills, which include:
- Making timely and well-considered decisions
- Considering the input of others when making decisions
- Taking a systematic approach when making decisions
Which can be demonstrated by…
- Seeking leadership opportunities through work or volunteerism that requires regular analysis and decision-making
Here are a few resources that can help strengthen your Decision-making skills? What are some of your favorite tools and resources? How would you describe what these skills look like? Share them in the comments section!
EPIP Blog Posts and Webinars About Decision-making
- EPIP Social Media Fellow Sophia Guevera shares tips to facilitate shared decision-making for project partners. http://www.epip.org/decision-facilitation
- Serving on a nonprofit board is a great way to sharpen your decision-making skills. Check out this webinar to learn what it takes to be a good board member. http://www.epip.org/webinar-recap-serve-on-a-board-save-the-world-and-advance-your-career
- Rockwood Leadership Institute’s Pia Infante presented an EPIP webinar on how to operate more collaboratively as a leader and how leaders can incorporate participatory decision-making into their organization. http://www.epip.org/webinar-recap-beyond-the-rockstar-paradigm
Articles and other resources
How Shortcuts Cut Us Short: Cognitive Traps in Philanthropic Decision-making, from the Center for Evaluation Innovation. This brief highlights several common cognitive traps that can trip up philanthropic decision making, and suggests straightforward steps that strategists, evaluators, and organizational learning staff can take to address them.
Structuring Leadership: Alternative Models for Distributing Power and Decision-making in Nonprofit Organizations, from the Building Movement Project http://www.buildingmovement.org/reports/entry/structuring_leadership_alternative_models_for_distributing_power_and_decisi
- Criteria for Philanthropy At Its Best, Chapter III: Ethics, from National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy. Did you know that diverse groups make better decisions? Having a diverse decision-making body is important for effective grantmaking. http://ncrp.org/files/paib-ethics_lowres.pdf
Watch EPIP leaders talk