The California Community Foundation (CCF) is a public, charitable organization serving Los Angeles County in multiple capacities since 1915. We encourage philanthropy by individuals, families, companies and organizations, and serve as a trusted steward of their charitable funds and legacies. We make grants and collaborate with nonprofits in specific areas, and concentrate attention and resources on the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and groups in the community. CCF convenes and engages nonprofit, private and public sector partners to increase philanthropy and incorporate philanthropists into community problem solving in Los Angeles.
CCF is a dynamic environment that values individuals who want a purpose more than a position. We have a diverse and talented team of experienced and passionate advocates for our community. We are a learning organization driven by the idea that continuous improvement furthers professional development and increases our ability to effect positive change. We seek individuals who thrive in a fast-paced setting highly focused on results and impact.
CCF is hiring a Human Resources Assistant. This position assists the Director of Human Resources and Offices Services with administrative tasks including but not limited to timekeeping, benefits accrual, recruitment, leaves of absence, orientation, training and human resources administration such as processing of invoices and correspondence. Assists with administration back-up and other tasks, as needed. This position also coordinates general office services to all departments within California Community Foundation (CCF).
- Payroll and Benefits Administration: Processes updates to payroll, retirement plan and benefits systems. Processes program enrollment and termination of employees and dependents for all health and insurance benefits, retirement plan and other benefits provided by CCF. Produces and distributes materials related to medical, dental and other benefits’ open enrollment. Assists employees with completion of appropriate paperwork.
- Timekeeping: Monitors time and attendance using web-based tracking system. Tracks and posts benefit time usage including vacation, sick leave, family leave, jury duty leave and other leaves provided for in CCF’s personnel policies. Responsible for timekeeping portion of bi-weekly payroll process.
- Recruitment: Assists with administrative aspects of the recruitment process, including posting open positions; reviewing, routing and archiving resumes; scheduling interviews; handling correspondence with applicants; and coordinating background checks.
- File Maintenance: Organizes, maintains and ensures security of paper and electronic personnel, recruitment and benefits files. Coordinates foundation record storage through off-site storage facilities, general operation of on-site file systems, and electronic records management system. In conjunction with director, maintains and revises file retention policies. Processes human resources and office services invoices for director’s approval and monitors invoice payment.
- Employee Onboarding: Prepares new hire paperwork, employee handbook and physical and electronic personnel files for new employees. Ensures return of all relevant paperwork from employees. Assists with employee orientation as appropriate.
- Training: Assists director in training preparation and execution, including scheduling, coordinating location requirements, preparing training materials, ensuring attendance and event follow up.
- Separations: Generates and distributes termination paperwork to employees. Coordinates final payroll check with Finance department. Notifies COBRA third party administrator.
- Office Services: Provides primary emergency reception desk relief, office services and mail coverage as needed, as required by the director or office manager. Assists with opening and closing office, event and meeting set up and break down, maintenance of supplies and systems, and data entry for office services.
- General: As appropriate, assists other departments and works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of CCF. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Experience: Minimum of three years of experience as an administrative assistant with human resources and office service responsibilities required. Prior non-profit experience preferred.
- Education: A high school diploma or equivalent experience is required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Communication Skills: Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to write clear and comprehensive procedures and instructions. Willingness to listen carefully and ask for clarification if needed. Ability to clearly and concisely explain policies and procedures. Excellent telephone and customer service skills.
- Confidentiality and Discretion: Demonstrated ability to keep all job and personnel-related information confidential and exercise discretion regarding all personnel and benefits matters.
- Technology Skills: Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite and a familiarity with web-based payroll and time management systems is required. Working knowledge of Blackbaud software preferred, with a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
- Organizational Skills: Superior organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work effectively and respond calmly to multiple and competing demands.
- Team Work & General Skills: Ability to follow directions. Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to take initiative, and follow tasks through to completion. Ability and willingness to interact diplomatically with all levels of an organization and to be a positive presence throughout the office.
- Requires the ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Punctuality and satisfactory attendance are essential functions of the job.
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. A generous benefit package is provided to all full-time staff, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, parking or transportation, and retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
To apply to this position, please visit our website at www.calfund.org and select “Careers” or go to http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/calfund/publicjobs
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees, and we make employment decisions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, gender expression, age or any other protected status. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable federal, state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for