Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
New York, NY
JOB TITLE: Grant Account
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building and philanthropic advocacy programs support the work of lesbian, trans*, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights.
The Astraea Foundation seeks a dedicated, hands on, individual to oversee the accounting for Astraea’s portfolio of more than $8M annually from government contracts, foundation grants and other restricted contributions. Reporting to the Senior Accountant the Grant Accountant is responsible for the financial management of grants and restricted funds to ensure compliance, maximization of expenses to the approved budget, timely billing and collections of grants receivable. The successful candidate will be able to generate data, perform analysis and problem solve. The Grants Accountant will also work closely with the Development Officer for Institutional Giving.
- Reconcile the program/grant general ledgers and prepare necessary journal entries to ensure proper month end close for Astraea and all fiscally sponsored projects.
- Responsible for Time and Effort reporting. Review and prepare necessary journal entries for allocation of salary and benefits to grants and projects.
- Work closely with Development and Program Officers on budget planning, grant proposals, analysis, modifications and contract/grant matching requirements.
- Monitor grant budgets; verify expenditures and compliance with all GAAP, Federal OMB, grant/contract standards and guidelines.
- Reconcile donations and gifts records between fiscal and development departments.
- Prepare all applicable fiscal reports for grants and sponsored programs and ensure the timely submission thereof.
- Prepare invoice/billings and collect funds for the support of restricted fund expenditures.
- Other general accounting and bookkeeping duties as required
- Coursework in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years of experience in grant/fund accounting
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, budget preparation, and financial reporting
- Knowledge of federal, state, and other related laws pertaining to grants
- Excellent attention to detail, strong organization skills, and time management skills
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills required, specially Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Experience using Blackbaud Financial Edge is a plus
- Eligible for employment in the US
- Position is based in New York City
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com by July 11, 2016. Please include Grant Accountant in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.