Date(s) - Fri., Jun 28, 2013-Sat., Jun 29, 2013
Location The San Diego Foundation
The art of successful communication often gets overlooked. Most people perceive communication as a means for transmitting information, but it is so much more than a simple exchange of knowledge. Communicating with authenticity generates opportunities to transform relationships and paves the way to creating intentional spaces for learning and discovery.
In this two-day workshop, Meenakshi Chakraverti of Public Conversations Project will help us explore the art of dialogue and lead us through experiential learning activities to:
- Explore different styles of speaking, listening and questioning to guide and engage in conversations.
- Develop a broad understanding of the structure, preparation and communication choices that may be considered to facilitate conversations.
- Understand the role and power of inquiry and its dependence on strong listening skills.
- Understand and foster genuine dialogue.
- Recognize the skills learned in this workshop can be used by anyone, regardless of your professional role and/or hierarchical level within an organizational structure.
- Learn to share responsibility for a constructive conversation.
- Identify your own talents and triggers in order to invite and engage in genuine dialogue.
- Practice multi-dimensional dialogue. (Multi-dimensional dialogue involves data and stimuli – not just spoken words – to inform a conversation. It acknowledges that we all bring our identities and perspectives to any conversation.).
- Identify specific places where dialogue can further each participant’s professional development and community impact.
Together, we can begin to “change the world if we start listening to one another. Simple, honest, human conversation… where we each feel heard, and we each listen well” (Wheatley 2012).
EPIP San Diego is thrilled to offer this opportunity to members both locally and within our national network! Space is limited so please RSVP today.
Friday, June 28
10:30am – Registration
1:00pm – Lunch provided
7:00pm – End of Day 1
7:30pm – Happy Hour
Saturday, June 29
8:30am – Light Breakfast
9:00am – Session begins
1:00pm – End of Day 2 & Lunch provided
*This is a cumulative learning workshop. Please plan to arrive on time and attend all sessions.
Participants arriving from out of town can stay anywhere you like. Two options that we recommend are:
The Pearl is holding a block of 10 rooms until June 8 for $134.99 per night (6/27 and 6/28). The shuttle from the airport is $5. Just contact Nicolina DiMarzo (email@example.com) and say you’re with EPIP.
The Courtyard Marriott is holding 10 rooms as well, but the charge is $169. They do have a free shuttle from the airport and it is walking distance from the workshop location. Again, say you’re with EPIP.
About Our Speaker
Meenakshi Chakraverti, MPA, PhD, Vice President, Program Development and Strategy
Public Conversations Project
Dr. Meenakshi Chakraverti is director of Public Conversations West (PCWest), a branch of the Public Conversations Project (PCP). With a background in economic research, grassroots community work, ethnographic research and business entrepreneurship—in addition to her 12 years with PCP—she is responsible for PCP’s International Initiatives. Meenakshi has worked with leaders and communities, ranging across US energy policy stakeholders, global leadership on conflict prevention and recovery, city government leadership in California, mid-career fellows at Princeton University, community leaders in Flint, Michigan and Burundian facilitators. Meenakshi holds a Master of Public Affairs degree and a Doctorate in Social Anthropology, and has taught at the University of California, San Diego and Princeton University.