EPIP DC is proud to pilot a new mentorship program to help cultivate strategic, supportive relationships for professional and leadership development in our local network and philanthropic community.
Inspired by EPIP National’s strategic framework and the mentorship programs hosted by EPIP Boston and EPIP LA, the DC chapter sees this as an opportunity to support our members in their internal and external advocacy and our shared commitment to equity and social justice in philanthropy.
- Connect with an established leader in our community to build strengths, address weaknesses, and learn from their experiences in the philanthropic and nonprofit sector;
- Receive tailored support for personal growth, navigation of organizational dynamics, and career advancement;
- Get insights into relevant trends, opportunities, and challenges in your specific areas of interest;
- Expand your network and build a community of like-minded peers; and
- Learn more about EPIP DC and how to get more involved.
- Invest in the next generation of sector leaders, helping them set goals and develop skills to be successful in their career;
- Share wisdom and experiences with someone who is new to the field and eager to learn and grow;
- Reinvigorate the intellectual and emotional connection to your work;
- Actively engage with emerging philanthropic and nonprofit leaders in our region; and
- Connect with other senior leaders at program events.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, including how to apply to participate as a Mentee or Mentor, read on!
PROGRAM ELEMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS
The inaugural 2018-2019 cohort will welcome 10 emerging and mid-level leaders as Mentees, who will be paired with 10 seasoned professionals as Mentors. The program will span 7 months, from September 2018 to March 2019, with a commitment of 2-3 hours per month.
The program will provide avenues for deeper engagement with EPIP DC and fellow participants, featuring:
- Kick-off event on Wednesday, September 12th from 6-8pm;
- Monthly one-on-one meetings from October-February, including meal reimbursements;
- Social activities and networking events such as happy hours;
- VIP space at chapter events;
- Progress check-ins from EPIP DC; and
- Closing event on Tuesday, March 12th from 6-8pm.
At the mandatory kick-off event, the EPIP DC Steering Committee will facilitate discussion on professional interests and provide an opportunity for Mentees and Mentors to meet before pairs are assigned. Mentees will be welcomed to share preferences for specific Mentors to inform matching in late September.
A comprehensive handbook with important guidelines and logistics will be provided to Mentors and Mentees prior to the kick-off event.
ELIGIBILITY AND COST
We invite emerging and mid-level leaders to apply as Mentees and senior leaders to apply as Mentors.
Staff from grantmaking institutions, sector infrastructure groups, nonprofits, social enterprises, and philanthropic consulting firms based in DC, Southern MD, and Northern VA are welcome to participate, though no more than one participant per organization will be selected.
EPIP is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive sector. We particularly encourage Mentors and Mentees at the intersections of marginalized identities, including but not limited to people of color, Native Americans, LGBTQ individuals, women, and immigrants and refugees, to apply.
To participate as a Mentee, the program is free for individual and institutional EPIP members and $150 for non-members, which includes a one-year EPIP membership. Mentors do not need to be EPIP members to participate.
EPIP DC will provide additional guidance on ideal candidates and answers to commonly asked questions upon the opening of the application period.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Interested in applying to participate as a Mentor or Mentee? The application form will open on Monday, July 9th and remain open for 7 weeks. Applications will be due by 11:59pm Eastern on Friday, August 24th.
EPIP DC will notify applicants of next steps by Friday, August 30th.
In the meantime, applicants should hold 6-8pm Eastern on Wednesday, September 12th for the mandatory kick-off event where we will begin the matching process for Mentors and Mentees.
If you have questions about the program or application, please email email@example.com for assistance.