Make the Road New York (MRNY) is hiring a full time Donor Relations & Events Coordinator to help meet the fundraising goals for an annual organizational budget of $15 million. The position is based in Brooklyn.
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. MRNY operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of more than 19,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants' rights, immigrant rights, language-access, LGBTQ rights, public education, health care access, police issues, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York seeks a Donor Relations and Events Coordinator to identify, cultivate and communicate with donors and raise money through special events, direct asks, and mass (email, mail, social media) appeals. The Coordinator will work closely with senior staff, be part of a fast-paced development department and report directly to the Development Director.
This position is ideal for an ambitious go-getter with deep commitment to social justice, 3+ years proven success organizing fundraising events, solid writing skills, strong attention to detail and excellent interpersonal skills. A good candidate would be able to thrive both in team settings and in independent work, be highly self-motivated and able to multi-task, organize, plan, prioritize, and perform assigned duties with minimal supervision.
MRNY is a large, multi-faceted organization, and this position requires flexibility, a positive attitude, impeccable time management skills, rigorous attention to detail, a sense of humor and the ability to handle many tasks and manage competing priorities. This position will be based in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
Reports To: Development Director
- Plan and execute fundraising campaigns and events that meet or exceed the organization’s $3 million unrestricted fundraising goal
- Develop and coordinate special events (fundraisers at board members’ homes, donor site visits, corporate receptions, etc), including our annual Gala.
- Increase the number of individual donors and the level of giving through identification, cultivation and solicitation to meet the financial goals of the department.
- Provide backup to senior program staff in their individual and event fundraising efforts, including drafting tailored donor acknowledgements and communications for senior staff
- Develop and execute a strategy for a large, sustained base of annual individual donors and monthly givers
- Work closely with the Development Director and Executive Directors to secure and facilitate cultivation and solicitation meetings
- Research and secure new sources of financial support, including new donors, local businesses and event sponsors
- Ensure regular, personalized, and timely communications with donors and prospects
- Ensure timely donation tracking and acknowledgement
- Draft appeals and develop and/or manage creation of donor materials to support fundraising activities, including mailed and on-line appeals, event invitations and other cultivation materials
- Work with our young professionals board to cultivate that groups’ growth and fundraising capacity and activities
- Research, create, and manage donor profiles in our Salesforce database, identifying giving history, capacity, relevant personal information (giving history, interests, etc)
- Ensure donor records are current and accurate with all necessary and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into database in a timely manner
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively and to develop and drive a plan forward
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization with donors as well as interface with all levels of staff while maintaining flexibility, tact, and a positive attitude
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and unrelenting attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and complete assignments under strict deadlines with minimal supervision
- Commitment to social justice, with a desire to grow within the development department, and experience working in a multicultural and multi-ethnic work environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and databases, ideally Salesforce
- 3+ years of relevant fundraising and/or events management experience
- Database management experience, especially Salesforce
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Sense of humor
Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days and paid maternity / paternity leave.
How to Apply
Please immediately send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please attach the cover letter and resume AND copy both into body of the email with Events Coordinator in the subject line.
Make the Road New York is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to insure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.