This position is responsible for developing and executing our membership acquisition and retention strategy. Our new Director of Membership will be joining our team at a critical juncture in our organization’s history. After evolving our brand from the Association of Small Foundations to Exponent Philanthropy in March of 2014, we now see opportunity to grow our membership in our core target market, leanly staffed private foundations, as well as in new target markets including community foundations and individual donors. The individual chosen to be our new Director of Membership will set strategy, work across departments to ensure our membership acquisition and renewals goals are met, evaluate existing membership procedures and make adjustments to ensure maximum efficiency, serve existing members, and hire and manage a membership associate. In collaboration with our management team, the Director of Membership will help to anticipate member needs and work towards providing excellent customer service and value to our members.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive strategy that will result in a net gain in membership and a broader awareness of the benefits of Exponent Philanthropy membership.
- Initiate, execute and evaluate membership acquisition activities.
- Evaluate existing membership related procedures and make adjustments to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Oversee membership renewal process.
- Work in collaboration with our Marketing and Communications team to develop and produce effective membership materials and communications.
- Collaborate with other teams and staff members to leverage existing programs and activities for acquisition of new members and maximize retention of existing members.
- Work across teams to enhance and maintain a strong value proposition.
- Effectively work with member committees and Board of Directors on initiatives that will contribute positively to membership related goals.
- Develop criteria to measure effectiveness of membership activities, analyze existing member/non-member demographics, and work with relevant staff on collecting membership satisfaction and future needs data.
- Proactively assist members in their efforts to use Exponent Philanthropy services and benefits.
- Hire and manage a membership associate whose responsibilities would include processing new member applications, managing the membership renewal process, and maintenance of member and prospective member records, among other projects.
Qualifications and Desired Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7-10 years of membership or member service experience within an association.
- Demonstrated past success in developing and executing comprehensive membership strategies that have resulted in significant growth.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with all different personality types.
- Experience with member databases, association management software, and/or customer relationship management software.
- Capacity and motivation to develop an in-depth understanding of Exponent Philanthropy target audiences, programs, resources and services.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and organizational skills.
- Resourceful, with the ability to make decisions in an evolving environment and anticipate future needs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple simultaneous projects and demands.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and aptitude to develop a high level of proficiency with Exponent Philanthropy’s database.
- Commitment to customer service-oriented excellence.
- Ability to travel on occasion.
How To Apply
Interested parties should email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exponent Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.