TITLE: Director of Innovation and Impact
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Programs
SUPERVISES: CoC Program Manager-Technical Assistance, Data Analyst
STATUS: Exempt, salaried, full-time
On any given night, more than 6,700 Chicagoans don’t have a place to call home. Tens of thousands more are just one unexpected setback away from joining them. All Chicago believes that these are our neighbors, this is our community, and together we can ensure that all of us have stable and secure homes. All Chicago effectively combines immediate resources with long term strategies to address the complex issue of homelessness through three signature programs: Chicago Alliance, Emergency Fund and Learning Center. To learn more about All Chicago, please visit www.allchicago.org.
The Director of Innovations and Impact oversees the formation and products of a newly formed program unit within All Chicago. The Director of Innovation and Impact will work with the Vice President of Programs and All Chicago Program Team to build a highly effective unit that tracks best practices and emerging trends to end homelessness in the City of Chicago. S/he conducts research and shares those findings with the broader Chicago Continuum of Care community. The Continuum of Care (CoC) is a membership association comprised of service providers, people of lived experience, funders, and government working collaboratively to create a citywide and systemic response to the challenge of ending homelessness.
Impact and Innovation (50%)
- Drive the research and writing of two seminal reports annually that highlight significant findings on topics and issues that will improve aspects of the homeless management and prevention system in the City of Chicago.
- Keep abreast of innovative practices being implemented by other Continua around the country and share this information with members of the CoC and All Chicago staff.
- Capture best practices and innovative solutions at CoC member organizations and share with other members of the CoC, All Chicago staff and Continua in other parts of the country.
- Track cutting-edge research and emerging trends locally, nationally and internationally around ending homelessness, mental health, supportive services, affordable housing, and employment.
- Build the Innovation and Impact Unit and Team from the ground up.
- Use creativity to develop new ways to solve problems that are directly impacting homeless individuals, homeless service providers, government and other stakeholders. Initiate program ideas to respond to these new insights.
Collaborative Applicant/Continuum of Care (20%)
- Ensure that All Chicago delivers quality and impactful training and technical assistance to CoC membership.
- Participate in the completion of the US Housing and Urban Development Continuum of Care Competition Application, the Collaborative Applicant Committee Quarterly Reports and the Quarterly Systems Performance Dashboards.
- Provide content for biannual updates to the Chicago Plan 2.0.
- Provide leadership to the Plan Advisory Committee and actively participate in the System Evaluation and Performance Committee and Finance Committee.
- Respond to CoC member research requests with direct assistance from the data analyst.
Training and Educating (15%)
- Write monthly learning/informational briefs.
- Present findings from research at a minimum of one conference or workshop annually. Cultivate opportunities for other All Chicago staff to present at a national conference or workshop.
- Design and deliver a presentation highlighting the key points of research to members of the CoC.
- Help build bridges between members of the CoC community and new stakeholders at local academic and research institutions.
- Develop opportunities for capturing organizational learning and program impact.
- Serve as a key member of the All Chicago Senior Leadership Team. Serve as an articulate, passionate, and visible spokesperson for All Chicago and as a prominent leader throughout the organization, among stakeholders, and in the Chicago community.
- Participate in biweekly meetings with the Vice President of Programs, Director of Programs, and Director of Information Systems.
- Develop an annual Innovation and Impact Workplan that is in alignment with All Chicago’s strategic plan, Chicago CoC Charter, Chicago Plan 2.0, Planning Grant Workplan and Collaborative Applicant Memorandum of Understanding.
- Lead, mentor, and supervise assigned staff. Conduct weekly supervision sessions with direct reports, prepare three-month probationary evaluation reports for new hires and twelve-month performance evaluations for all direct reports.
- Write position descriptions and lead the hiring, and if necessary disciplinary, terminations, and other personnel actions in accordance with personnel policies, for all direct reports.
- Actively create professional development opportunities for members of the Innovation and Impact Team.
- Successfully infuse a customer service philosophy within the Innovation and Impact Team.
Other Tasks (5%)
- Provide monthly updates and activity reports as requested by the Vice President of Programs.
- Actively participate in monthly CoC, Program, and Staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree or higher.
- At least 6 years in a senior role in one of the following fields: homeless prevention, social services, housing, mental health, employment, youth development, government, or policy advocacy.
- Significant demonstrated professional experience in writing, speaking publicly, and delivering high impact presentations.
- Prior work experience in research, data analysis, strategic planning, publication development, and training or teaching.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, or Prezi) required. Thorough knowledge of a broad range of computer-related technology; advanced analysis and design, methods of compiling and analyzing statistical, fiscal and related data required.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of All Chicago.
- Ability to establish and manage a collaborative working environment.
- Big picture thinker, with active imagination and the ability to color in and outside the lines.
- Highly developed analytical, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of managing and leading staff and teams.
- Success in leading through persuasion rather than authority.
- Comfortable engaging diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- Customer-focused; dedicated to providing excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Highest level of professional and personal integrity.
- Able to handle a large workload.
- Organized and an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Great sense of humor.
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use.
- Work place is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Intermittent travel to off-site locations required.
- Occasional night and weekend work may be asked of All Chicago staff.
- All Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at All Chicago are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, military service, marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability (including HIV/AIDS), or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Salary is in the $70K-$80Ks range, based on qualifications. Comprehensive benefits package (with some employee contributions) includes medical, dental, vision insurance, and disability. Employer-matched retirement plan. Generous paid leave.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com, Attn: Consuella Brown, Vice President of Programs.
- Please write your name (Last, First) in the re: line of your e-mail.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The position begins as soon as possible.
- No phone calls please.