The East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is one of the largest community development organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area. We opened our doors in 1975 with the development of an underutilized historic warehouse in Oakland’s Chinatown into the Asian Resource Center, a multi-service center housing nonprofit agencies, retail businesses, and medical facilities. Since then, we have developed 1,918 affordable homes and 316,000 square feet of commercial space in Oakland and the East Bay, investing more than $190 million in the community. Our properties include numerous Oakland landmarks, including Swan’s Marketplace, Preservation Park, and Hismen Hin-nu Terrace.
EBALDC has long been committed to work that achieves true neighborhood change. Along with building and managing residential and commercial properties, we provide a range of services for our residents and community members, including benefits assistance, youth and senior programming, and volunteer tax assistance. Building on the success of these programs, EBALDC is one of the first community development organizations in the country to organize our work around the “social determinants of health,” which include food access, quality education, efficient public transit, a range of affordable housing options, job opportunities and financial stability, social supports, public safety, and a clean environment with safe, attractive recreational spaces. By impacting these interconnected factors, we aim to ensure that the neighborhoods where we work are vibrant and healthy places to live, learn, work, and play.
The Director of Fund Development (the Director) reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the senior management team. The Director provides leadership, strategic direction, oversight, coordination and priority setting in the areas of resource development and communications. The Director supervises the Grants Manager, Communications Manager and Development Assistant, and works extensively with the Volunteer Coordinator, and consultants as needed.
The Director will forge and maintain new relationships to build EBALDC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. EBALDC is a very stable organization with an annual budget for central office functions of $6 million for 2015. Most of our funding is raised by long-term contracts and fees for service. The Director has primary responsibility for raising contributed revenue for our social services and education programs. We currently average $1.4 million per year, The Director will manage relationships with funders, diversify and expand EBALDC’s opportunities to support our Healthy Neighborhoods Initiatives, after school programs, small business support and resident services. The Director is responsible for the solicitation of major gifts, government grants, corporate and foundation support. The Director is also responsible for the implementation of EBALDC’s Salesforce relationship management system. The Director works closely with the Board of Directors and supports Board Members to take on active fundraising roles.
The Director serves as an ambassador for the organization and supports senior staff to build relationships to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Director will implement EBALDC’s communications plan and have oversight of communications activities. The Director will partner with the Communications Manager to develop, integrate and implement a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The Director will supervise production of EBALDC’s marketing and communication materials including: an annual report, quarterly electronic newsletters, collateral material and other print publications; web, e-news social media and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising and Development
- Support and partner with the ED and Board Members on all major fundraising initiatives, managing the Resource Development Strategy Committee, its membership, and staff-to-board committee relations;
- Actively work with the ED and senior management staff to implement and improve EBALDC’s strategy supporting our social service and education programs which includes corporate, foundation, government grants, an annual event, and annual appeals;
- Support development and execution of proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach;
- Oversee monitoring of all donor information and use of Sales Force for donor contact management;
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program, including monthly board reports;
- Establish and oversee systems for monitoring of all grants and facilitate all required reports to funders;
- Ensure that Fund Development policies are updated and are administered accordingly.
- Oversee implementation of the strategic communications plan to advance EBALDC’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences and media;
- Oversee development of EBALDC promotional and fundraising materials;
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization;
- Oversee preparation of talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed;
- Oversee engagement, cultivation, and management of press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding EBALDC programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects; and
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality;
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis; and
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- 7-plus years of professional experience; demonstrated success in a development function in which the applicant was responsible for raising over $1.5 million per year.
- A similar experience baseline for communications as for fundraising.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside EBALDC.
- High energy and passion for EBALDC’s mission and our Healthy Neighborhoods Strategic Plan is essential.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors.
- Flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and fundraising, and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, EBALDC’s Board of Directors and staff.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement a strategic development plan through a fundraising and communication lens.
- Experience in oversight of planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories both internally and externally.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
Essential functions of the position require the employee to use a telephone, work at a standard computer terminal and be able to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit for long periods of time, repetitive motions, stand, reach, lift and carry 20 pounds, and bend.
Benefits and Other Information
EBALDC offers excellent benefit. EBALDC pays 80% of employee premiums and 60% of dependent premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD and Life, EAP, Retirement, Paid Time Off, CA Paid Sick Leave, Holidays and Wellness Days Off for all eligible employees.
The link to the position is as follows: http://www.ebaldc.org/job/director-fund-development
**All candidates will be subject to a background check**
Please NO PHONE CALLS!
Applicants reflective of the diverse communities that we serve in the East Bay are strongly encouraged to apply.
EBALDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.