National Arts Strategies
NAS seeks a Director, Initiatives & Community to be part of our senior team. The Director manages and supports fundraising, new program development activities, and will lead one existing program. The Director works with partners, funders, program participants, and other stakeholders to understand their needs, ensure effective communications and engagement and help meet organizational goals. This position works with the NAS team to identify opportunities, develop initiatives, and sustain partnerships that will further our reach and impact, improve our understanding of the effectiveness of our work and support our mission.
This post reports to the President and CEO and is a one-year appointment with possible extensions.
Functionality of the post includes, but may not be limited to:
- Directing overall fundraising and business development efforts with the President and CEO and in collaboration with the other NAS directors including building and/or deepening relationships in the field.
- Developing funding proposals in concert with management team for existing and new programs.
- Serving as a representative of NAS to external stakeholders including members, funders, government partners, board members, advisory committee members, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining programmatic and administrative expenditures within budgeted parameters.
- Appropriately documenting all activities.
- Helping NAS sustain its excellent board relationships through exceptional management of support activities for board communications and events, including but not limited to assembling comprehensive briefing documents, reports and research files.
- Where applicable, overseeing and working directly with consultants or contractors who implement projects to ensure that goals and outcomes are met within the specified timeline.
- Working with the Program Manager on evaluation and with the Finance and Executive Assistant on grant applications and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Director, Initiatives & Community is responsible for any consultants or contractors working in assigned program areas.
We seek a thoughtful, energetic person who enjoys managing and being part of change. This position requires, at a minimum, the following qualifications and personal qualities:
- Bachelors degree
- Deep knowledge of and experience in fundraising
- Knowledge of the nonprofit arts and culture sector and common issues that nonprofits face
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication skills, written and oral
- Ability to approach work with a flexible attitude
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications
- Proficiency in Salesforce or similar CRM applications
Organizational Culture and Benefits
Each staff member is an important part of the team. Our staff members are team players, self-motivated, and committed to an atmosphere of respectful, honest, and open communication. The work environment is one of high energy, high activity, and mutual support.
NAS provides opportunities for learning and professional development and a gratifying work experience. Our benefits package is comprehensive and includes health insurance and retirement benefits, sick/vacation leave and flexible work hours.
This is a one-year contract with potential for renewal.
To apply: Please send in a single PDF labeled with your first and last name to email@example.com:
- A cover letter explaining why you’re interested in this job and your salary requirements.
- A one or two-page resume listing relevant skills and experience.
- A list of three references, complete with phone number and email address. References will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. No phone calls, please. Only final candidates will be contacted. Deadline to apply: January 10, 2017.
NAS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.